Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Beamforming and MU-MIMO ?? ?

mindhed1
Tutor

Beamforming and MU-MIMO ?? ?

Any updates on whethere or not these feautres are now usable on the RBK50 system? 

I am currently on Firmware Version: V1.11.0.20

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 12
JMU1998
Luminary

Those testing Beta Firmware are unable to tell us because of some super secret agreement so we will have to wait maybe some sunny day we will be able to use the advanced features... as of now we have a half cooked meal we paid full price for.

Message 2 of 12
Landerx
Apprentice

You can enable those features. In fact they might already be enabled for you automatically.

Message 3 of 12
OrbiMan
Luminary

I have it enabled. I know some of my devices mostly the later generation phones especially the new oneplus 5 support mu-mimo but how do I tell that it is working?
Message 4 of 12
Landerx
Apprentice

If you are connected and your device shows a stable connection then that is a good indicator. Unfortunately there is no light that blinks or status indicator that tells you mu-mimo is doing it's job.

Message 5 of 12
Igott
Star

I hate to say it but I’ve completely lost faith in Netgear and this Orbi product, it does not work as expected! I want my money back!

Also don’t recommend anyone purchase this router as I’ve had issues for months and problems with firmware and support keeps dodging me on date for resolving any of this...will be speaking to the better business bureau this week!
Message 6 of 12
martyfp
Luminary

I have both enabled and my system works great.    No idea if mu-mimo is doing anything as we don't yet have any compatible devices although we will do soon.     For me,  the system was the same with/without mu-mimo but I have had beamforming on since moving to 1.12

I get around 99.99% connectivity with only very occasional momentarily noticeable drops on iphone when streaming video which only seems to happen in the far flung regions of the house..    

For me at least, Orbi works great and is a big improvement over our previous wifi.

Message 7 of 12
spinkick
Apprentice

So, should we enable this feature yet or not?

Message 8 of 12
cyberprashant
Luminary

seems to improve range on 1.11.0.20 Fw (downgraded orbi).  Both settings enabled here. 

Message 9 of 12
JMU1998
Luminary

Those who have the latest Beta have u enabled MUMIMO and Beamforming? 

Message 10 of 12

I have recently got my Orbi RBk50 & noticed both Beamforming & MIMO are still disabled. After looking through older threads, apparently these features have been disabled for now due to them causing problems. But then firmware V1.12.0.18 has been released & its still disabled - without any clarification about Beamforming/MIMO working properly.

I've only just got my Orbi system working nicely after testing out all the different settings & several factory resets - turns out its just better not to really change anything and just leave everything as it is.

I would really like to turn on Beamforming & MIMO, but im worried if I do its just going to mess up things up. The biggest problem ive had is the Wi-Fi stays connected but nothing loads and it just times out.

Is anyone on firmware V1.12.0.18 with Beamforming/MIMO enabled?

Message 11 of 12
waynealight
Apprentice

im on the latest firmware 1.12.0.18 with mu-mimo and beanforming enabled.  i have a tv and a notebook on the same satellite.  both devices have 2x2 ac.  i can file transfer to my nas at 50-60MBps while streaming 4k netflix on the tv with no issues. This is usually done with 3 kids play 3 xboxs while watching youtube at the same time(spoiled rotten im aware).  I have not tested the settings disabled since i enabled it on setup.  The only issue that I've experienced is hbogo glitches when streaming to the tv or xbox.  seems to be a hbo issue from what ive researched for.  the xbox one s now streams most of my video contrent but its hardwired into the network.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7