Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Before I buy an Orbi solution

jims2321
Aspirant

Before I buy an Orbi solution

Before I spend the money on an Orbi AC3000, I have a few questions that I need to answer.

Here is my set up.  I have AT&T GigaPower (Uverse) internet.  The Arris NVG 995 is in my basement, it is connected to a 24 port GigaE switch.  I have disabled the Wireless functionality of my Modem, and current have a wireless AP handling wireless access (abet poorly, thus the reason for the potential change to Orbi).  The location I would place the Orbi router would be upstairs in the family great room, with the satillite upstairs for coverage there.  The Uverse modem is handing out the DHCP addresses on 192.168.1.x and the wireless AP is on 10.0.0.1 but bridging back to the modem (or double nat'ng I suppose) so I have internet access.  So my questions:

1.  Would like to have all the network devices on 192.168.1.x

2. Do not need wireless in my basement, so putting the router down there make no sense. 

3. My location upstairs only has a single network connection, so putting the router there to provide DHCP is not going to help.

4. Could I use the Orbi router and satillites as network extenders?

Any other ideas

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
Roamabout
Luminary

Your scenario sounds very similar to mine except that I have a Verizon FIOS Actiontec router in the basement connected to a 24 port Gigabit switch. I have the Orbi router in the Family room (wired back to the swtch) configured in Access Point mode and one Orbi sat at each end of the house on the upper floors. The Verizon router continues with its roles of routing and DHCP for the 192.168.1.x subnet.

Message 2 of 5
TheEther
Guru

If you have a 24 port switch, then it sounds like your house is wired with Ethernet.  If correct, then you don't need an Orbi.  You should take advantage of your Ethernet infrastructure by deploying multiple wired Access Points (APs) in strategic locations to provide full coverage throughout your house.  It will be faster and more reliable than a fully wireless Orbi setup.  Orbi satellites can be wired into an Ethernet backbone but it's a waste of money to buy an Orbi and not use the dedicated wireless backhaul.

Also, it sounds like your current AP is actually a router.  Otherwise, it wouldn't be using 10.0.0.1.  You should disable its DHCP server so that wireless clients get 192.168.1.x addresses.  Some routers have an Access Point mode setting to do this for you.

Message 3 of 5
jims2321
Aspirant

so you have the Orbi in bridged mode and just use it as an AP and for the mesh features

Message 4 of 5
Roamabout
Luminary

wrote:

so you have the Orbi in bridged mode and just use it as an AP and for the mesh features

Yes, I use the Orbi to provide high speed wifi connectivity to every corner of the house. My wired network only goes to a few rooms. I replaced individual access points that were very long in the tooth with the Orbi so that I would have an integrated system with high speed seamless roaming for the mobile devices. The wired ports on the satellites were a bonus.

Used in AP mode some of the Orbi features are disabled such as the parental controls that only apply to the Orbi in router mode but that was not an issue for me. The cats dont use the Internet much.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7