Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi

Re: Before you buy the orbi system - what you need to know performance and feature wise

hi

just for info you can put the stock asus rt-ac68u firmware on that t-mobile branded box and then you will have the updates etc , more info over at the smallnetbuilder forums if you want to try it out

however you can just plug the orbi router direct into that cable modem and use it in router mode

wifi calling should work fine as i have tested it here as long as you have enough bandwidth capacity

Message 26 of 33
Jryan619
Star

Re: Before you buy the orbi system - what you need to know performance and feature wise

The ASUS firmware will not go in, t-mobile modified it enough that it won't happen. ASUS support Confirmed this, they said nothing they can do for me. Now you can flash it to an ASUS firmware, but that takes away the t-mobile instructions. All I need for wifi calling is strong internet. The t-mobile one just slowed other traffic while you were on phone. Anyways, I had already mailed it back. Even better, I have their 4G tower. This plugs into your network, and they send a 4g signal through the web to the tower. My house has 4 bars of 4G now
Message 27 of 33
st_shaw
Master

@Jryan619 wrote:
Understood. Only problem is that the t-mobile branded version has not had any software or firmware updates in over a year, and the exact same ASUS model has had several including critical security updates. Wouldn't I be just as good buying another satellite? I have full coverage now, and part of the reason for Orbi was to reduce clutter. It's not about the money it's about making my life easier. My new Set top box for Spectrum Cable is about the thickness of a deck of cards, and as wide as three packs. It has Velcro to stick to back of TV, but best of all it has a built in 3.1 doc cable modem. To me that is worth gold, getting two items off the shelf into one high performance gadget you don't see.

"Wouldn't it be just as good buying another satellite?"  I don't understand the question.  Just as good as what? What's the context here?

"I have full coverage now, and part of the reason for Orbi was to reduce clutter." How were you planning to use Orbi to reduce clutter?

I think you just said you got rid of the T-Mobile router, so it's not clear what your question is anymore.  If you can explain, I'm happy to try to help.

Message 28 of 33

@Jryan619 wrote:
The ASUS firmware will not go in, t-mobile modified it enough that it won't happen. ASUS support Confirmed this,

wrong

see

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/updated-how-to-tm-ac1900-t-mobile-cell-spot-to-merlin-firmware-gui...

Message 29 of 33
Jryan619
Star

Well if you want to go though all that, my time and energy is worth more than the time you expend doing all that, for a modem that will still be old. I want new
Message 30 of 33

1300M 5 gig and 600M 2.4 gig is the current usable standard , which the t-mobile / rt-ac68u is , any thing else is attempting to future proof in a world of tech that changes by the week

orbi is a different solution to wifi but is no newer in its standards wifi wise

Message 31 of 33
LALeach54
Aspirant

Orbi

Will Orbi allow me to operate my Arlo system, and use my computer internet?
Thanks for your posts, very informative.
Laurie
Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 32 of 33

Re: Orbi

@LALeach54 wrote:
Will Orbi allow me to operate my Arlo system, and use my computer internet?
Thanks for your posts, very informative.
Laurie

yes the arlo system work with porbi and use your comp at the same time

Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 14 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7