Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Best Configuration/Settings for Orbi and Spectrum

b1o3o
Aspirant

Best Configuration/Settings for Orbi and Spectrum

Just got Orbi main hub and one of the satellite and Spectrum broadband. Main hub is connected through Spectrum's Gateway device. I peak at 118mbps (which is the fastest Spectrum offers) if I'm in the same room as Orbi main hub or satellite. Slowest will be 20ish, but that's in the backyard and still pretty fast.

But every once in awhile, my connection will be slow even when I'm in front of either Orbi device. So I'm wondering if there's a Basic/Advanced Setp/Configuration that I need to play with. Or is it my Spectrum Gateway that needs some configuration? From my research, I've read using OpenDNS, disabling Gateway wireless, using Orbi as router, and other terminoligies I'm not familiar with.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6
loomis1975
Luminary

If your gateway's WiFi broadcast is still on and sitting near the Orbi, then the obvious first thing to do is turn off that gateway's WiFi.  You really need to do that first.

If you setup Orbi in AP mode, then your gateway/modem is doing the router functions which is fine.  If you setup Orbi the default way (as a router), then you have a double NAT situation going on (both the gateway and the Orbi are doing routing functions), which for most isn't that big of a deal, especially if everything in your house is connected to the Orbi's WiFi or Orbi Ethernet ports.

Oh if you are paying a monthly fee for that gateway/modem/WiFi unit from Charter Spectrum, I'd drop that monthly fee like a hot rock and change it out for just a modem (pretty sure Charter doesn't charge monthly for just the modems).

Message 2 of 6
b1o3o
Aspirant

Thanks!

So I went on ahead and logged on my Gateway and turned off it's WiFi capabilities. And the device now has 2 of it's lights off to confirm.

I have my Orbi on AP mode, and punched in Google's Primary and Secondary DNS. Is this (or Open DNS) a good move? Or should I just use the dynamic DNS from the Gateway?

As replacing my Technicolor Router, I just started their 1-year introductory service. I don't even see in the bill if and how much I'm getting chatge for leasing the device.

Any other settings/configurations I should do in the Orbi? Or Gateway?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 6
loomis1975
Luminary

Unless you are having internet name lookup / DNS issues, I think the default works fine for most use cases.  I use OpenDns because its free and allows me to do some easy blocking/filtering of things.  I have used it with a bunch of Netgear routers and others and several Mesh Wifi systems (mostly Orbi and Linksys Velop) and it has worked fine with them all.

I am unfamilar with the Technicolor router.  But if its standard old Charter Spectrum cable internet and not some different subsidary or merged/aquired business unit (Time Warner Cable comes to mind), there is no monthly fee for cable modems, but there is a monthly fee for a modem/wifi router gateway device.  This might kick in after the introductory period.

Most of the standard settings are fine, gives you less to troubleshoot later. 🙂  I would obviously change the password for your router/satellites access from the default.

You could also play around with the 2.4 ghz power tranmission level if you feel you are having issues with devices not ever switching from satellite to router or vice/versa when you think they should be.  I would think you would have to have your router and satellite way too darn close together to have to consider lowering the 5.0 ghz power transmission level.

Message 4 of 6
b1o3o
Aspirant

The Google DNS seems to be reliable. Unfortunately, Technicolor is still running on the original DNS, and I'm still trying to figure out how to change that. But so far, thanks to your advice, I haven't seen any intermittent dip in speed. I'll check tonight since the crawl happens late at night.

The majority of my devices are running on 5G. Actually only 1 device, my Kuna security cam, is on 2.4ghz. But they're all powered by Orbi. So it's safe to say that Orbi is running both 5G and 2.4ghz at the same time. Correct? And the Orbi main hub + satellite is strong enough to cover my entire house with 5G speed. Actually, thinking about getting 2 more satellites just to cover some deadspots only noticeable whenever I have a gathering.

I'm gonna keep messing around my settings to figure out where the transmission levels are. Thanks again.
Message 5 of 6
loomis1975
Luminary

Orbi does run 2.4 and 5 ghz under the same SSID.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7