Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Best Satellite Add-ons?

ayemacii
Aspirant

Best Satellite Add-ons?

I purchased the RBK50 (one router, one satellite) as it stated it should cover a 5,000 sq ft home. Mine's right at 4,500 (basement, main floor), and I have  a few week spots.

I have a few options - 1) return this and buy the upgrade with two sats, or 2) purchase a second sat outright. If I go with the latter, do you recommend a specific sat model? I've seen several listed but I'm not 100% sure which one's best for my situation. 

NOTE: I would only need wireless and not necessarily the built-in switch ports. That might and should bring down the price. Speed's a must, however. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Ulairi
Luminary

Re: Best Satellite Add-ons?

I had a RBW30 wall plug sat with a RBK50 and it was hopeless - frequent disconnects.  It was not a hardware fault because it persisted with two different wall plug sats (Netgear RMAed the first one).  I replaced it with a RBS50 sat and it has been rock solid ever since.

It doesn’t make any sense - because you can buy kits that have the RBR50 router with 2 RBS30 wall plug sats (RBK52) and the RBW30 is supposed to work with the AC3000 router.  But my experience suggests otherwise and I’m suspicious about mixing sat speeds on the same network.

I’d recommend sticking with AC3000 and get another RBS50 sat.

View solution in original post

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 7 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Placement is key as well. Distance between base and satellite should start at 30 feet. Building materials can play a roll as well. 

My home is 5000sq ft and use just 1 satellite 40 feet from the base. It's down stairs on main floor while base is upstairs on 2nd floor. 

You could try the one with two satellites. 

Message 2 of 7
ayemacii
Aspirant

"As a crow flies," it's about 75' away. It's roughly 68' straight across but then up on another floor. I could move it closer to the base, but the week spot is in the other side of my house. See attached for a basic layout. Solid blue object represents base in basement; hollow blue object represents sat on main floor. Red circle represents weak signal spot.    

Message 3 of 7
ayemacii
Aspirant

Also side-view.

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe thats a bit too far. I would move the satellite 40-50 feet. If you need coverage on the far side of your home, then you may need another satellite to cover this area.

Message 5 of 7
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

If speed's a must, you want your whole system to be AC3000. That means adding another RBS50 even if you don't need the built-in wired switch.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 6 of 7
Ulairi
Luminary

I had a RBW30 wall plug sat with a RBK50 and it was hopeless - frequent disconnects.  It was not a hardware fault because it persisted with two different wall plug sats (Netgear RMAed the first one).  I replaced it with a RBS50 sat and it has been rock solid ever since.

It doesn’t make any sense - because you can buy kits that have the RBR50 router with 2 RBS30 wall plug sats (RBK52) and the RBW30 is supposed to work with the AC3000 router.  But my experience suggests otherwise and I’m suspicious about mixing sat speeds on the same network.

I’d recommend sticking with AC3000 and get another RBS50 sat.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7