Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Best Strategy for changing wifi home password on network with tons of smart devices?

locobryandean
Aspirant

Best Strategy for changing wifi home password on network with tons of smart devices?

Hi,

I need to update my password on our home WiFi network that has a bunch of sonos speakers and smart devices on it. Does anyone have a strategy on the best way to do this? I was thinking of naming my guest network to my primary SSID/password and slowly migrating everyting over? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Best Strategy for changing wifi home password on network with tons of smart devices?

Guest Network should not be named the same as the primary network. 

IF you want to change the PW, the only thing to do is to make the change on the RBR, reboot the RBS's or re-synce them first to ensure they get the change. Then go in to each device and set them up again for the new PW. 

For devices that have a managed web page, you could pre-configure these devices before you change the PW on the RBR. They will loose the connection after you change them, however should reconnect after you change the PW on the RBR. 

Message 2 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Best Strategy for changing wifi home password on network with tons of smart devices?

@locobryandean wrote:

I was thinking of naming my guest network to my primary SSID/password and slowly migrating everyting over? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Not a bad idea for a slow migration. Or if you have an older router sitting around, place it in ap mode with the ssid/password you're currently using. That way it isn't seperated out on the guest network. 

Or just take a day and move them over all at once (ouch). 

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

btw you'll need to change the ssid as well otherwise your devices aren't going to know which to connect to. Potentially they connect to the correct one and work or they connect to the one with a different password and won't connect. 

If you plan on keeping the same ssid with a different password, you'll just need to change them all in one shot. or it'll be a nightmare of "which one works". 

Message 4 of 6
locobryandean
Aspirant

Yep, that was the plan. Update primary SSID and password and set guest network to old at the same time. Thanks!
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You don't necessarily have to change the SSID name. I would keep that the same. I have used the same SSID name for years. Even the PW, however I live in a fairly low populated area. I know all my neighbors. Not everyone can say that. I'd keep the same SSID name. Will make this transition easier. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7