Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Best orbi settings/Advanced settings as of 2019?

UNKNOWN51
Aspirant

Best orbi settings/Advanced settings as of 2019?

Hi , just bought this router with 2sats/ Motorola 8600 docsis 3.1.
I initially bought this to help with everyone on wifi through out the house.
First off routers in my room at back of house, sat1 in front of house,sat2 on first floor underneath my room.

First issue, between my router and sat1 in front room if I go in middle of two I lose call not sure what to do .

Also with my setup idk if router mode or AP mode is better.

Third issue, I have the 400down plan with Comcast I'm not pulling 400down hardwired maybe 320-350 normal?
Other then that I'm looking to tinker and find the best advance settings to mess with and how to go about it testing wise

Thanks in advanced
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Best orbi settings/Advanced settings as of 2019?

What FW is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Enable Implicit Beam Forming and MIMO. Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless settings. 

AP mode is meant for use when you have a ISP modem that has a built in router already or you have a router infront of the Orbi system that you prefer to use and you just want the Orbi to run as a AP. No wireless differences with Orbi in router or AP mode. 

How are you testing wired speeds? Speedtest.net web site or app? Try different browsers and different PCs to compare. 

@UNKNOWN51 wrote:
First off routers in my room at back of house, sat1 in front of house,sat2 on first floor underneath my room.

First issue, between my router and sat1 in front room if I go in middle of two I lose call not sure what to do .

Third issue, I have the 400down plan with Comcast I'm not pulling 400down hardwired maybe 320-350 normal?
Other then that I'm looking to tinker and find the best advance settings to mess with and how to go about it testing wise

Thanks in advanced

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s). Enable Implicit Beam Forming and MIMO. Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless settings. 

AP mode is meant for use when you have a ISP modem that has a built in router already or you have a router infront of the Orbi system that you prefer to use and you just want the Orbi to run as a AP. No wireless differences with Orbi in router or AP mode. 

How are you testing wired speeds? Speedtest.net web site or app? Try different browsers and different PCs to compare. 

@UNKNOWN51 wrote:

Thanks in advanced

Message 2 of 10
UNKNOWN51
Aspirant

Fw v2.2.1.210
Not really sure how big the home is in sq feet, but decent size 2 floor home about 50years old ..

Router from my room to front room is about 30 feet.

Auto, Il try these suggestions..

Testing thru fast.com/speedtest.net
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to test wired speed connections first at the router. 

Message 4 of 10
UNKNOWN51
Aspirant

Don't see option to check 40mz, so I just unchecked 20/40
Checked beam/mimo
Unchecked fast roam, Daisy chain, ipv6 is disabled now/ applied new setting
Speed test thru router management shows 470down/30up I don't see that when I do a speed test thru laptop/shield/xboxone
Message 5 of 10
Ragar99
Luminary

I've lost track, disabling daisy chain means you are really enabling it?

Message 6 of 10
UNKNOWN51
Aspirant

Now I'm lost and confused lol 😂 someone start screenshottng there setups and success with there experience with it 😉
Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Unchecking 20/40Mhz sets 40Mhz only. 

is laptop or xbox wired to router when testing or wireless? Wired is preferred for speed testing. Some wireless device may not fully support same speeds as wired due to design limiations from Mfr. If your getting at spec speeds on wired, then your good in the regard. 

@UNKNOWN51 wrote:
Don't see option to check 40mz, so I just unchecked 20/40
Checked beam/mimo
Unchecked fast roam, Daisy chain, ipv6 is disabled now/ applied new setting
Speed test thru router management shows 470down/30up I don't see that when I do a speed test thru laptop/shield/xboxone

Message 8 of 10
UNKNOWN51
Aspirant

Yes hardwired on xboxonex ps4pro Nvidia shield. Don't have laptop upstairs.
But I can tell the instructions I was given are a hell lot better pulling 460-475down from Xbox and shield .. thanks guys
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Looks good then. 

Enjoy now. Smiley Wink

@UNKNOWN51 wrote:
Yes hardwired on xboxonex ps4pro Nvidia shield. Don't have laptop upstairs.
But I can tell the instructions I was given are a hell lot better pulling 460-475down from Xbox and shield .. thanks guys

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7