Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Best placement of Router + 2 Satellites? Please provide advice

Kessel81
Follower

Best placement of Router + 2 Satellites? Please provide advice

Hello, 

I just bought the Orbi tri-band AC2200 wifi mesh system (RBK22). It came with the tri-band router (RBR20) + satellite (RBS20). I bought a third matching tri-band AC2200 satellite. 

I have a 1400 sqft. bungalow with a finished basement. 1 Gbps cable internet that came with the Hitron modem/router (all wifi functions turned off..Orbi gets no internet connection with the internet modem in bridge mode for some reason). The internet modem is located on the main floor near the entrance. I also have an ethernet cable running from this location down to the basement in the middle of the home to provide wifi coverage for the basement. I can have one connection there - in the middel of the home - in the basement. And the last Orbi satellite will be placed on the opposite end of the home in one of the bedrooms. 

Case 1: Place the Orbi router near the entrance of the home (living room) by the internet modem. Run an ethernet cable from the Orbi router down to the basement and connect an Orbi satellite there with ethernet connection (middle of the home). And finally connect the 2nd Orbi Satellite by Wifi connection at the other end of the home in one of the bedrooms on the main floor. 

Case 2: Place the Orbi router in the middle of the home in the basement and connect it to the internet modem with the ethernet cable that is running down from the main floor living room. Place the 1st Orbi Satellite in the living room up stairs with Wifi connection, and finally the 2nd Orbi satellite will be in the bedroom and connected through Wifi connection. 

Which case would be better for me? Is it better to have the router in the middle and the two satellites on opposite ends? However, case 1 allows me to wire the Orbi router and also wire the 1st satellite by way of ethernet connection. Do the satellites connect only to the router or in case 1, would the 2nd satellite connect to the 1st wired satellite instead of bouncing back onto the router. 

Thank you

Router Firmware Version
V2.3.5.26

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Since trying both scenarios requires only moving boxes around and plugging cables, I would try them both and see.

My primary concern would be, "where are the heavy use devices?"  Are there desktop computers and streaming TV's in the bungalow?  I would want the gigabit feed close to them.  If the majority of use is web browsing, email, etc. then it probably doesn't make any difference.

Message 2 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

1400sq ft maybe too small for the RBR and two RBSs. I would first try the RBR and maybe 1 RBS and with good distance, probably work well. 

Regarding your ISP modem:

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Disabled-Features-on-the-Router-when-set-to-AP-Mode

Try option #2...

@Kessel81 wrote:

Hello, 

I just bought the Orbi tri-band AC2200 wifi mesh system (RBK22). It came with the tri-band router (RBR20) + satellite (RBS20). I bought a third matching tri-band AC2200 satellite. 

I have a 1400 sqft. bungalow with a finished basement. 1 Gbps cable internet that came with the Hitron modem/router (all wifi functions turned off..Orbi gets no internet connection with the internet modem in bridge mode for some reason). The internet modem is located on the main floor near the entrance. I also have an ethernet cable running from this location down to the basement in the middle of the home to provide wifi coverage for the basement. I can have one connection there - in the middel of the home - in the basement. And the last Orbi satellite will be placed on the opposite end of the home in one of the bedrooms. 

Case 1: Place the Orbi router near the entrance of the home (living room) by the internet modem. Run an ethernet cable from the Orbi router down to the basement and connect an Orbi satellite there with ethernet connection (middle of the home). And finally connect the 2nd Orbi Satellite by Wifi connection at the other end of the home in one of the bedrooms on the main floor. 

Case 2: Place the Orbi router in the middle of the home in the basement and connect it to the internet modem with the ethernet cable that is running down from the main floor living room. Place the 1st Orbi Satellite in the living room up stairs with Wifi connection, and finally the 2nd Orbi satellite will be in the bedroom and connected through Wifi connection. 

Which case would be better for me? Is it better to have the router in the middle and the two satellites on opposite ends? However, case 1 allows me to wire the Orbi router and also wire the 1st satellite by way of ethernet connection. Do the satellites connect only to the router or in case 1, would the 2nd satellite connect to the 1st wired satellite instead of bouncing back onto the router. 

Thank you

Router Firmware Version
V2.3.5.26

Message 3 of 4
eljarviso
Luminary

In enterprise configurations (which also apply to home) print out a map of the house.  From your main router measure out 30 feet.  Thats where you want to place the next AP.  Try to have them in a triangular placement.  This will allow for better roaming as well as dropout coverage should an AP go down.  If the signal is too strong then you won't get proper roaming.  You might have to drop the power settings from 100% in your wireless settings.  With a bit of tweaking one base station and two satellites should give you awesome coverage.  

Try to have your router centralized and then branch the satellites out left and right.  

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7