Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Best setup expanded home

Brownb01
Aspirant

Best setup expanded home

Hello. I was wondering if I could get some help.

Current setup -
Internet provided by AT&T through a Netgear Nighthawk MR1100 with a Netgear 3200 in AP mode. I have the WiFi disabled on the MR1100 and run the 2.4 and 5GHz off of the 3200.

I need to expand my WiFi coverage and run more devices - mostly nest cams. This is a vacation place, with 8 or so cams, lots of automation and many guests on the weekends. What will be the best way to expand the WiFi coverage and stay on a single SSID? I was consider dumping the 3200 and going with Orbi and a few satellites. However wasn’t sure if somehow I could add a satellite of some sort to the 3200? I’ve tried some range extenders and don’t really care for having to setup another SSID.

Thanks!
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post about this here in this forum for the MR model router:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile-Routers-Hotspots-Modems/bd-p/aircard

Message 2 of 12
Brownb01
Aspirant

I posted it over there as suggested. However, I’m not really interested in using the MR for my wifi configuration which is why I posted in the Orbi section

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the model# of the NG 3200? R####? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
30 feet is recommended in between base router and extenders or satellites to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Seen users with 6 satellites connected to the base Orbi. 

Message 4 of 12
Brownb01
Aspirant

AC3200

House is 1500 sq ft, but the property is 2 acres. I probably need about 200 ft in distance to reach my camera locations. I’ll need elevation of about 20 ft both up and down from the router location.
Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, Orbi would not be a good system for your needs. 

I would look into something more out doors supporting if these cameras are out doors. Use users have been working with some up to about 100 feet. Not sure of there full configurations and placement. 

You may need some dedicated wired APs for this kind of configuration...

Message 6 of 12
Brownb01
Aspirant

The cams I have today connect - it’s just spoty at times. I’m thinking an improved signal would help. I have outdoor shed with power where I was thinking about placing satellites. I was also thinking the Orbi Pro with an Outdoor satellite.

Wires AP’s are fine too. Are there some wired AP’s that would work with my current ac 3200?
Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

EX7700 or 8000. They work in either wired AP or wireless extender mode. 

Message 8 of 12
Brownb01
Aspirant

Great. Thank you. I’ll order a few now. Do they make an outdoor version?
Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't think so...

Message 10 of 12
Brownb01
Aspirant

Besides the obvious cash benefit to adding extenders to my current nighthawk, is there a downside to me switching to Orbi? I like the fact that the Orbi pro system has an outdoor extender.
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

I think one down side is the cost and price point vs what you have now. Also EX are a bit cheaper than RBS's. 

You have flexability with EXs, they can run with any router AP mode or Extender. Where the RBSs have to be setup with a Orbi router only. You can't use them with non Orbi systems. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7