Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Best use of system

arcdancer
Tutor

Best use of system

I run both a wired network and a wireless network.I have a Orbi RBR50, 2 RBS50s and a RBS40 which I have placed on my Property. The RBR50 is in my living room and is connected via Cat 5 to a switch. This provides my wifi to most devices I have. I also have a RBS40 which I have place in a back bedroom. I placed it there to improve the signal out to my wifes sewing shop which is approximately 75 feet from our home. The connection is mostly used for TV. I also have a RBS50 placed in the garage to improve the signal there. I have a RBS50 that I can't get to connect to anything so I haven't deployed it. 

My question concerns making the best use of the units I have to maximize the signal between the sewing shop and the house. I would be willing to purchase any other items if I need them to make this happen. The main reason I have undertaken this plan is the wife spends long hours working at her home business and I need to make sure she has a varied TV program selection and I don't want to pay the high prices Dish charges. I would also like to have all my devices on the same network. 

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Gerry 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Whats the distance from the home to the and this shop? if it's with in about 300 feet, or less, you could run a LAN cable out from the home to the shop and then place the spare satellite there as a wired satellite connected to the Orbi in the home.

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Message 2 of 4
randomousity
Luminary

If you have coverage in all the areas that need it, and a good backhaul connection, then you don't really need to change anything. As for the satellite you haven't deployed, maybe try placing it in the same room as the router, push the sync buttons on both the router and that satellite, and see if they sync up properly or not. If they do, then you can deploy the satellite wherever you have the weakest coverage.

If not, maybe try a factory reset on the satellite, and retry.

If that still doesn't work, you can go into the Orbi router settings under advanced > advanced setup > wireless settings, and click the generate button under backhaul password, and then repeat syncing again. If you do this, you will need to resync all of your satellites, as they will no longer have the correct password for the backhaul connection. Some people have had luck just by syncing the problem satellite first, and then the satellites that were already working.

Also, I'd make sure you do NOT have any wired devices connected to the satellite while you attempt to sync it. This goes for both the problem satellite, and any existing ones that currently work if you generate a new backhaul password and need to resync them all. Once a satellite is synced and working correctly, then you can plug in any wired devices, and move on to the next satellite. Sync them one at a time, and once they're stable, then repeat for the second and third satellites.

If all else fails, you can factory reset the router and all satellites, and then sync them one at a time.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us now how it goes for you...

@arcdancer wrote:

I run both a wired network and a wireless network.I have a Orbi RBR50, 2 RBS50s and a RBS40 which I have placed on my Property. The RBR50 is in my living room and is connected via Cat 5 to a switch. This provides my wifi to most devices I have. I also have a RBS40 which I have place in a back bedroom. I placed it there to improve the signal out to my wifes sewing shop which is approximately 75 feet from our home. The connection is mostly used for TV. I also have a RBS50 placed in the garage to improve the signal there. I have a RBS50 that I can't get to connect to anything so I haven't deployed it. 

My question concerns making the best use of the units I have to maximize the signal between the sewing shop and the house. I would be willing to purchase any other items if I need them to make this happen. The main reason I have undertaken this plan is the wife spends long hours working at her home business and I need to make sure she has a varied TV program selection and I don't want to pay the high prices Dish charges. I would also like to have all my devices on the same network. 

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Gerry 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7