Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Best way to connect USB 3.0 external drive to Orbi ethernet post

ShankarHokie
Apprentice

Best way to connect USB 3.0 external drive to Orbi ethernet post

Hello,

Update: The new house was hardwired with Cat 6 cables in every room. Have the Orbi in the basement paired with a Netgear CM100 modem from Costco and an unmanageded Netgear Gigabit switch. The home networking cables are plugged into the 16 port switch.

Getting near Gigabit speed everywhere and all the computers and media devices are working great without any dropouts. If you remember, I had to restart my Arris SB8200 daily due to network slowdowns. No longer an issue.

The question I am here for is to get a recommendation to make my Seagate 8TB external hard drive into network drive. I would like to connect this to an ethernet port to increase data transfer speeds and also make it a shared network drive.

What type of adapter can I get and does Netgear make one?

Thanks.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

External USB drives are not supported on Orbi systems. 

You best way to get it shared out would be connect it to a PC or laptop that can be accessed alwasys or migrage to actual NAS storage. Once you go NAS, you won't go back. 

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@ShankarHokie wrote:

The question I am here for is to get a recommendation to make my Seagate 8TB external hard drive into network drive. I would like to connect this to an ethernet port to increase data transfer speeds and also make it a shared network drive.

What type of adapter can I get and does Netgear make one?

It is frustrating to have a $150 USB drive and not be able to "put it on the network" when there are open ports on a gigabit ethernet switch just sitting there waiting to be used.  Bear in mind that connecting the USB drive to ethernet does nothing to increase the speed or throughput of the drive.  That is very much limited by the rotation speed of the hard drive and the USB 3.0 interface.

The USB drive is just a storage device with no "smarts".  It has to be attached to something with intelligence (such as a PC or a router with software like ReadyShare - which Netgear did not include in the Orbi product line.)  My Google searches do not turn up rave reviews for "USB NAS Adapters". 

I think @FURRYe38 is correct. The solution is an actual "Network Attached Storage" (NAS), and preferably one that features data redundancy. (more than 1 hard drive and the ability to recover from single drive failure).  What is the plan when (not "if") that 8TB drive suddenly stops working and YEARS of family history die with it?

Message 3 of 5
alokeprasad
Mentor

Fully endorse the NAS option.  Word of advice: buy a NAS with more drive bays than you think you need.

Storage needs expands to fill the space available Smiley Happy

I found this gizmo by googling.  I have no idea how reliable this is.  Maybe you can find a vendor with good return policy...

https://www.zdnet.com/article/turn-external-hard-drives-into-network-storage-via-usb-with-addonics-n...

https://www.amazon.com/Addonics-NAS-4-0-Adapter-NAS40ESU/dp/B0093I4KRO/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?i...

Message 4 of 5
ShankarHokie
Apprentice

Thanks @alokeprasad : I found that too. That's what prompted me to ask if there is a Netgear Solution. I am inclined to try it.

I will also keep in mind the NAS recommendation from everyone.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7