Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Best way to setup RBR50/RBS50 with Nighthawk x8

Naor1999
Aspirant

Best way to setup RBR50/RBS50 with Nighthawk x8

Does anyone know the best way I can hook up the following equipment (wirelessly) for best signal output?

I have the orbi rbr50 router, orbi rbs50 satellite and the nighthawk x8 ac5300 router.
Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

The R series router can only run in Router, AP or wireless bridge mode. It can be connected as a wireless bridge with the Orbi if you have wired devices to connect to it when in this mode. 

@Naor1999 wrote:
Does anyone know the best way I can hook up the following equipment (wirelessly) for best signal output?

I have the orbi rbr50 router, orbi rbs50 satellite and the nighthawk x8 ac5300 router.

Message 2 of 15
Chuck_M
Mentor

"The Best" is a bit vague.

What do you use your network for?

Is your location big?  Small?

Regardless of above, you will have to decide if you want your routing functions done by the nighthawk router or the Orbi.  You cannot have both in Router mode.

If you choose Orbi, there may not be a reason to even have the Nighthawk on your network.

If you choose the Nighthawk, you will need to configure Orbi as an Access Point (AP) and put it in that mode so that the routing functions are disabled.

A mesh network uses powerful radios on several frequencies.  It doesnt make any sense to have both WIFI signals from the Nighthawk and the Orbi in the same spaces.  If you retain the Nighthawk, I would suggest you also disable the radios in it and only use the WIFI from Orbi.  This will prevent conflicting RF signals.

Message 3 of 15
Naor1999
Aspirant

What Firmware is currently loaded?
- ORBI - v2.3.1.44
- X8 - I don’t know how to access it....
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
- Orbi is connected to “Arris 6183”

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
- 50’ in my home.

The R series router can only run in Router, AP or wireless bridge mode. It can be connected as a wireless bridge with the Orbi if you have wired devices to connect to it when in this mode.
- I’m not sure what any of those modes are. For me, it does not matter how the 3 units are hooked up. Whichever works best will work for me.
Message 4 of 15
Naor1999
Aspirant

What do you use your network for?
- for mixed personal and business use. Everything we have runs through WiFi. Computers, TVs, gaming consoles and several voip lines.

Is your location big? Small? It’s approx a 2500 square ft home.

Regardless of above, you will have to decide if you want your routing functions done by the nighthawk router or the Orbi. You cannot have both in Router mode.
- I’ll take the best recommendation offered. It doesn’t matter for me which router takes the helm. I honestly know very little about this and I’m trusting in the community for help.

If you choose Orbi, there may not be a reason to even have the Nighthawk on your network.

If you choose the Nighthawk, you will need to configure Orbi as an Access Point (AP) and put it in that mode so that the routing functions are disabled.
- I’m doing so, both orbi units could be placed in different locations giving me an equally strong signal from 3 locations in my home? (That’s my end goal)

A mesh network uses powerful radios on several frequencies. It doesnt make any sense to have both WIFI signals from the Nighthawk and the Orbi in the same spaces. If you retain the Nighthawk, I would suggest you also disable the radios in it and only use the WIFI from Orbi. This will prevent conflicting RF signals.
Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

For that size of home, the Orbi with 1 satellite should be good coverage for the entire home. I would use the R router in wireless bridge mode as a media bridge for LAN wired devices, like a PC, or NAS or printer,etc. 

Message 6 of 15
Naor1999
Aspirant

Putting it into wireless bridge mode will enable the nighthawk to act as an additional satellite?
Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

No, The R series routers don't support repeater or extender modes. Only router, AP which means it needs a LAN cable between the main host router and itself. Wireless bridge mode means it's only connected to the main host wifi. Doesn't provide any wireless signal for wireless devices and only LAN cable devices can connect to the back of the unit when in wireless bridge mode. 

Message 8 of 15
Naor1999
Aspirant

Can I switch that and use the Orbi router and orbi satellite as active satellites of the X8?
Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

No, the RBS need to be connected to the Orbi base for complete wireless MESH configuration. 

https://www.speedguide.net/faq/wireless-repeater-extender-vs-access-point-385

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Couple of suggestions. 

ISP Modem> Orbi RBR>RBS<R router wireless bridge mode connected to the SSID of the Orbi. 

ISP Modem>R router in router mode with it's wifi disabled>Orbi RBR configured for AP mode<RBS connected to RBR. You could have the R routers wifi enabled running on a different SSID name and different channels in router mode. Maybe problematic should something happen. Can be done though. You would have two SSIDs to pick from. 

Message 11 of 15
SnapDad
Aspirant

Helpful thread, thank you.
Question on the 2 suggested architectures:
ISP > Orbi (wifi) < X8 (wireless bridge to Orbi SSID)
ISP > X8 (wifi off) > Orbi AP (wifi)

Would either of these configurations be able to take advantage of X8's link aggregation for 2x NIC NAS ? *since Orbi doesn't support LACP*
Thanks !
Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router, RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System, RBW30|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

No. LAG on the R9000 is only for LAN devices that support LAG, i.e. NAS or LAN switches. 

Message 13 of 15
SnapDad
Aspirant

Thanks, FURRYe !

Would this be a correct statement: every point in the system e.g. X8, NAS, Orbi would need to support LAG ?

Do you know result if say:
ISP modem > X8 (wifi off with LAG to NAS) > Orbi mesh
* Orbi-connected devices (LAN, WAN) would not be able to reach the NAS for access or back-up?
* packet loss or worse from *misconfiguration* ?
* other ?

Thanks !
Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

If the Orbi was in AP mode, yes, full access to reach NAS from connected devices thru the Orbi system. 

Any is possible with a mis-configuration or bad cabling. 

You can connect the Orbi in router mode, however access to NAS on the primary router will be less easier to access nowever you can still access it. Map dirve to the IP address of the NAS from behind the Orbi in router mode will give access to NAS. This is a double NAT configuration which isn't recommended. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7