Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Beyond Frustrated with NetGear "Support"

WizardOfToz
Tutor

Beyond Frustrated with NetGear "Support"

I have been in the computer industry for over 30 years and have never seen a company like NetGear that hides behind a pay wall and won't support their products beyond one year.  While I certainly understand them not supporting the hardware beyond the warranty, what baffles is me is that there is no support for software related issues.  Even when they are ones that cause the issue to begin with.

I have been dealing with the same issue that everyone elseon here has with regard to bad firmware versions causing performance degrading.  And there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why sometimes it works good and others it doesn't.

For the longest time, I wouldn't even be notified within either the admin web portal or the app that a new firmware was available. Suddenly today, the app started putting up a red 'Update' icon in the top right of the app.  And when I attempt to upgrade to version 2.5.1.8, the satellite upgrades but the router fails.  When I attempt to upgrade through the web portal, same result.  And if I attempt to upgrade manually, it says the version is incorrect.

I mean seriously, what are customers supposed to do when NetGear refuses to provide the most basic support so that their products actually work?  I am just about at the point that I am ready to ditch NetGear and switch to another brand that will actually stand by their products.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
dhoplus2
Guide

Re: Beyond Frustrated with NetGear "Support"

@WizardOfToz wrote:

I have been in the computer industry for over 30 years and have never seen a company like NetGear that hides behind a pay wall and won't support their products beyond one year.  While I certainly understand them not supporting the hardware beyond the warranty, what baffles is me is that there is no support for software related issues.  Even when they are ones that cause the issue to begin with.

I have been dealing with the same issue that everyone elseon here has with regard to bad firmware versions causing performance degrading.  And there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why sometimes it works good and others it doesn't.

For the longest time, I wouldn't even be notified within either the admin web portal or the app that a new firmware was available. Suddenly today, the app started putting up a red 'Update' icon in the top right of the app.  And when I attempt to upgrade to version 2.5.1.8, the satellite upgrades but the router fails.  When I attempt to upgrade through the web portal, same result.  And if I attempt to upgrade manually, it says the version is incorrect.

I mean seriously, what are customers supposed to do when NetGear refuses to provide the most basic support so that their products actually work?  I am just about at the point that I am ready to ditch NetGear and switch to another brand that will actually stand by their products.

I logged on today wondering how far down I'd have to scroll to see a comment from someone regarding the absolutely worst customer service system in the industry and I started laughing when I only had to look down three posts to find your posting and while it's certainly not funny and I'm sure you are just as angry as I am and well you should be.  

I've worked in the tech industry for the better part of two decades as tech support for Apple and now Im in management for a software company and I feel your pain.  I've come to the conclusion that they have purposely made it so bad that you find yourself debating whether the unbelievable prices for their premium support is worth it or not. My issue started in the middle of December and I'm still dealing with issues that occured after I had to have the original Orbi router replaced on a RMA.  Suffice it to say, I hope you find a solution. My device stopped responding during setup after it attempted to upgrade the firmware to version 2.5.1.8. and I found that the firmware has had a problem since they released it.  I never did get to use my original unit as it never did respond after the automatic firmware update attempt. The only thing I would suggest, and I'm sure you've already reached this point, is to call the tech support line and let them know the problem in a very firm way....maybe they will escalate the issue to someone who can actually help.

Message 2 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Not to excuse Netgear*, but since the community is sort of the "only free resource, even though we're only volunteers".....

When doing the manual firmware update from http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/RBR50-V2.5.1.8.zip ,

did you unpack the zip file to make the image (.img) file available?

What is the firmware release on the Orbi right now?  (upper right hand corner of Orbe web interface)

The release notes point out that firmware that is prior to 2.2.1.212 cannot update directly to 2.5.1.8, but must update to a 2.2.1.212 as an intermediate step.

*I do (more than) my share of Netgear bashing.

Message 3 of 10
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

I likewise feel your frustration. I also have worked in the tech industry for over 3 decades and have never encountered any company with this bad of technical support.  Even when I have managed to escalate tickets to their L3 tech support, they cannot seem to get their firmware team to fix the issues reported by users.  The Orbi router continues to fail at performing basic router features that other routers have done for ages.  My 8 year old Asus router that this replaced had more features than the Orbi, other than the addition of 802.11ac and Mesh features. And not once did I ever have to contact support for my Asus router.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 4 of 10
WizardOfToz
Tutor

I am on a MacBook so when you download the firmware it puts it as a folder on my computer.  I chose the .img file when attempting to update manually and it fails with no message as to why.

Now the router is stuck on 2.5.0.38 while the satellite is upgraded to 2.5.1.8.  And since everything appears to be working, I am hesitant to mess with it anymore for fear of it breaking.

I also found out today that NetGear Armor is causing my printer to print out network information on three pages every week when it does it's scan.  So add that to the pile of crap that NetGear puts out and you can see why I am seriously thinking about going with a competitors product line.

And to think I just bought a new NetGear modem a few weeks ago in order to help offset the speed degradation from the satellite.  Luckily I bought it from Costco so I could return it if I decide that is best.

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory reset the RBR and walk thru the Setup wizard with either Safari or Firefox or Opera. This time do not setup Armor or Circle. Go directly in to updating the RBR. You can download the RBRs files again using either browser then unpack the file.

I use Mac MacBook Pro 2008 and 2018 and Mac Mini all the time to update my Orbis. 

30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Throttling-Devices-RBK53/m-p/1858561/highlight/true#M81925

@WizardOfToz wrote:

I am on a MacBook so when you download the firmware it puts it as a folder on my computer.  I chose the .img file when attempting to update manually and it fails with no message as to why.

Now the router is stuck on 2.5.0.38 while the satellite is upgraded to 2.5.1.8.  And since everything appears to be working, I am hesitant to mess with it anymore for fear of it breaking.

I also found out today that NetGear Armor is causing my printer to print out network information on three pages every week when it does it's scan.  So add that to the pile of crap that NetGear puts out and you can see why I am seriously thinking about going with a competitors product line.

And to think I just bought a new NetGear modem a few weeks ago in order to help offset the speed degradation from the satellite.  Luckily I bought it from Costco so I could return it if I decide that is best.

Message 6 of 10
WizardOfToz
Tutor

While I appreciate all of your suggestions, the fact remains that everything was working fine with the current settings for a couple of years before the last two firmware updates.  Besides, I shouldn't have to do a factory reset and risk everything breaking because NetGear cannot write and test their firmware properly.

I don't think it is too much to ask that customers have a company support option when just about every other company offers it.  If their product is out of warranty then simply state that.  But there needs to be some middle ground for when the problem is something like software, especially when the company themselves caused the issue.

They even block all messaging on Twitter!  So, you know what I did ... I unfollowed them.  I bet if everyone using their products would do the same, we'd get some answers.  If not, then I'll just spend my money elsewhere the next time I need networking hardware.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Well we can only do so much here in the forums. We all volunteers here and here to help out as best as we can. Yes FW has been problematic. We can troubleshoot until thats exhausted. Then you need to contact support. 

All we can do is offer the suggestions already given. Resets are a last resort and a valid trouble shooting step. It would be good to try it and see if this gets your system back online. It works and has helped others. Me included. Also remember to do a backup configuration to file after setting up any router. This will save you time if and when a reset is needed. 

We understand your frustrations. Your not the only one to complain about FW updates breaking users systems. You can contact one of the forum moderators if you want to discuss support options. Other than this, hope you find something that works. 

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 10
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@WizardOfToz wrote:

While I appreciate all of your suggestions, the fact remains that everything was working fine with the current settings for a couple of years before the last two firmware updates.  Besides, I shouldn't have to do a factory reset and risk everything breaking because NetGear cannot write and test their firmware properly.

I don't think it is too much to ask that customers have a company support option when just about every other company offers it.  If their product is out of warranty then simply state that.  But there needs to be some middle ground for when the problem is something like software, especially when the company themselves caused the issue.

They even block all messaging on Twitter!  So, you know what I did ... I unfollowed them.  I bet if everyone using their products would do the same, we'd get some answers.  If not, then I'll just spend my money elsewhere the next time I need networking hardware.

If you feel your problem is with the FW, and it probably is, go find the previous stable version and reload it.  Then think about how your came upon the version that gave you problems.  NG stopped pushing ALL FW updates awhile back.  Now they only auto-push those that contain critical updates.  If your system is working, leave it alone.  You're right about the factory reset, in MOST cases it should be performed as a last resort such as lost passwords.  I've been using the same FW for nealy 6 months and have no desire to update.  Why?, because my system works.  

I wouldn't put too much value in NG customer service.  You'll find that most of ther folks in here are able to provide better help for they have been where you are.  Your challenge is to sort thorugh the posts and find those that make most sense and deal with your problem.

Good luck.

Message 9 of 10
theoak
Luminary

If the router has not updated, take a backup of the router settings via the Advanced tab.

Download the firmware that the router is on and put that back on the satellites.

You can try factory resetting all Orbi devices at that point if you want.  With your backup, you can restore your settings.

Finally - DO NOT HIT UPDATE 😉

Just an idea ...

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7