Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Block access to main network, but allow guest access

DougB628
Apprentice

Block access to main network, but allow guest access

So I was looking at how I wanted to handle my kids friend's access our network, and I definitely want them on the guest network. Not because I don't trust them specifically, but because I don't trust their downloading habits and what malware they may have on their computers and want to protect our computers from those sorts of things.

So I discovered yesterday that apparently my daughter has shared the main network password with one of her friends. So I think, no problem, I'll just block her access using access control. Then when I saw how that configuration works, I realized it will block her friend's laptop entirely, as there is no way to block access only to the main network. This seems to defeat the purpose of having a guest network. If you're going to have access control, and a guest network, it seems that it would only make sense that you should be able to block/allow access to each network independently.

On a semi-related note, I've never understood the check box that allows those on the guest network to access devices on the main network. To me, that means that's just an extension of your main network. Why not just share your main SSID password? You've shared access, you might as well...

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Block access to main network, but allow guest access

Message 2 of 6
DougB628
Apprentice

I don't think Disney Circle (which I do use, and have purchased a subscription for), will help in this case. Basically, I see three main types of people involved in this situation:

1. Those I trust to access my home's main network (basically my family)

2. Those I do not trust to access my home's main network, but will allow guest access to the internet

3. Those I do not want to be able to connect at all.

There is a fourth possibility, those I will allow access to both my main and guest network, but to me this category makes no sense.

I can do 1 and 3 with the firmware as it works today. I cannot configure a mac address for case 2. I don't see how Disney Circle would help here. Circle works the same as the firmware - it blocks access altogether or not at all. To me, the target audience of Disney Circle are parents and their families, who fall into category 1 above. This isn't about what kinds of content people on my guest network are able to access, it's that I want them to be able to only connect to the guest network, and not the main network.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I know some say the Circle and Parental Controls may now work correctly. I thought three was a block device option as well in Circle?

Message 4 of 6
DougB628
Apprentice

I could certainly use Circle to block a device, but that is not what I want to do. I want to allow a device to connect ONLY to my guest network, and not the main network. Some might say "just change the main network password!", but that means I have to re-configure like 20-30 devices. I'd much rather the option of saying that MAC address uu:vv:ww:xx:yy:zz is not allowed to connect to my main network, but IS allowed to connect to the guest network.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe thats something not supported on Orbi unfortuneately. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7