Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Blocking VOip on Orbi RBW30

DobieLuv
Follower

Blocking VOip on Orbi RBW30

Just got Orbi and Circle and it's doing a great job.  Can anyone tell me how I can shut-off VOip at 8pm?  Thanks much!

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Assuming that this VoIP phone has a fixed IP address, take a look at the Orbi web interface Advanced->Security->Block Services.  You can Add a block specific to that IP and either specify the VoIP ports (Google to be sure, but they may be TCP/UDP 5060-5065) or just block "Any".  Then, on Advanced->Security->Schedule you can set up the days of the week and hours of the day to block.  I appears to me that the blocking "schedule" applies to ALL of the blocks you have defined.  I have no idea what happens to VoIP service when a device "goes silent" for a substantial period of time.  (My guess is "nothing", but I have no personal experience to draw on.)

There may be much better ways to accomplish your goal, and the community includes people who will know for certain.

It may be helpful to specify which VoIP service you are using.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Assuming that this VoIP phone has a fixed IP address, take a look at the Orbi web interface Advanced->Security->Block Services.  You can Add a block specific to that IP and either specify the VoIP ports (Google to be sure, but they may be TCP/UDP 5060-5065) or just block "Any".  Then, on Advanced->Security->Schedule you can set up the days of the week and hours of the day to block.  I appears to me that the blocking "schedule" applies to ALL of the blocks you have defined.  I have no idea what happens to VoIP service when a device "goes silent" for a substantial period of time.  (My guess is "nothing", but I have no personal experience to draw on.)

There may be much better ways to accomplish your goal, and the community includes people who will know for certain.

It may be helpful to specify which VoIP service you are using.

Message 2 of 4
Chuck_M
Mentor

Are you trying to turn off a machine's access at a certain time?  If so, you may want to enable circle.  If you are trying to disable just one service while allowing others, that may a bit more complicated.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

The sense I got was that Circle was a satisfactory solution to some of his needs, and he also wanted to restrict telephone usage at certain times of day.  (For example, there could be a minor child in the house who is not allowed to visit certain web sites and who also is not supposed to "on the phone" at certain hours.)

More information about the desired result would be helpful.  Blocking VoIP may stop "telephone" usage, but might be inadequate against Skype, FaceTime, Duo, AIM, etc.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7