Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bought used orbi

Whdj
Aspirant

Bought used orbi

Hi, when I go to security in the app, it says the unit is still registered under previous owner and I can't login to netgear armor. How do I change this?
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Bought used orbi

@Whdj wrote:
Hi, when I go to security in the app, it says the unit is still registered under previous owner and I can't login to netgear armor. How do I change this?

You can try doing a Factory Reset on the router and then set it up with the web interface. (have nothing to do with the Orbi 'app'.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4 

This is the sort of thing that I have never found a mechanism to deal with on the Netgear web site.  What some people have done is contact one of the forum moderators by sending a private message to their screen name (click on screen name and then select private message @Blanca_O 

Explain the situation, including serial number and how it was purchased, how to contact you, etc.

Message 2 of 7
norwood
Aspirant

You can return the Orbi Pro WiFi 6 to its factory settings. Use the end of a paper clip or a similar object to press and hold the Reset button located on the back of the Orbi for at least seven seconds. The Orbi resets and returns to the factory settings.

MyCCPay

Message 3 of 7
Whdj
Aspirant

That does reset the unit, but unfortunately doesn't apply to the netgear armor feature that's online

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

YOu may need to contact NG support and ask them for help and information regarding Armor. After the reset, just don't enabled Armor. 

If you want Armor, it should allow you to setup a new account. Something to ask NG support about. 

Message 5 of 7
Whdj
Aspirant

If I choose not to use armor, can he potentially see my new router and traffic if I just leave it as his email address? I've never used armor before.
Message 6 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@Whdj wrote:
If I choose not to use armor, can he potentially see my new router and traffic if I just leave it as his email address? I've never used armor before.

After you reset the Orbi, the previous owner totally loses the ability to connect to it.  The major issue is the (gol-darn) Orbi 'app'.  The app uses the MyNetgear login which belongs to the previous owner and (I believe) is also tied to the router serial number.  So, he is now locked out, but neither of you can replace the entry in MyNetgear.  That's why people who want to use the app have to plead their case with a forum moderator who can then contact someone internal at Netgear to modify the information.  Bloody nuisance.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7