Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Brand new Orbi RBR750- Very slow routing from devices to internet over Wifi

paulmHK
Guide

Brand new Orbi RBR750- Very slow routing from devices to internet over Wifi

Hi all, Apologies for the overlong post but I am in need of some advice.....

I recently brought a new Orbi RBR750 + 2 Satellites. My home setup uses a combination of wired internet access (e.g. in the study) and then Wi-Fi throughout my apartment. LAN Speeds are pretty good and what I except (I have 1GB Fibre at home) but WIFI can be slow. What I mean by this is that, opening a You Tube session for certain apps or news apps (when using WIFI) can often result in long delays for the app to refresh with new content/data.

Very often I get a 'no internet detected' message.....connecting to the Apple App store on iPhone, is another example of this. To resolve I have close the app and start again, or disconnect the device I am using from WIFI an re-connect. FYI - The WIFI signal strength on the device is always full strength throughout my apartment.What baffles me though (when I am having these issues on a device) is, if I run a SpeedTest or connect to my Orbi app, the speeds are generally fine and exactly what I expect.

The behavior I am experiencing would seem to suggest there is some routing issue from the device in question and its taking a long time to route through the Orbi MESH and out to the internet. You can eventually connect (i.e the You Tube app will refresh with content) but it might take a minute of waiting for the connection to be made.

My Oribi setup is simple - I would describe it as an out of the box setup. I have not changed any of the default settings. I am a bit stuck as to what could be the cause of this issue. I cant think what the problem could be as the Router and Satellites seem ok. The satellites are reporting a connection type of 5G and the backhaul status is 'Good' Is there a setting in the Orbi router I need to change/turn off/turn on etc?

Grateful for any advice...
Thanks

Firmware version V3.2.18.1_1.4.14
Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Brand new Orbi RBR750- Very slow routing from devices to internet over Wifi

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Message 3 of 11
tucsontico
Virtuoso

What baffles me though (when I am having these issues on a device) is, if I run a SpeedTest or connect to my Orbi app, the speeds are generally fine and exactly what I expect....

If you run a speed test within the Orbi app you are only testing your router's wired connection to your modem. You are NOT testing WiFi speeds.

To correctly test WiFi speeds you must use a third party app on your mobile device. (I use Net Analyzer on my iPhone 8.) Before testing speed, be certain which part of your Orbi mesh you're testing, i.e., are you connected to the router or the satellites? If your iPhone "holds" on to a Satellite when you want to test the router's WiFi speed, simply put the phone in airplane mode then move closer to the router and return to WiFi.

The behavior I am experiencing would seem to suggest there is some routing issue from the device in question and its taking a long time to route through the Orbi MESH and out to the internet.

A possible fix is to update the firmware on your ORBI. The most current firmware is V4.6.3.7_2.0.49. Go to the downloads page, enter your Orbi model and download the files. Please note the satellites use different firmware files than the router. ALWAYS update the satellites first, then the router.

Finaly, read this thread from the forum:

SOLVED: How to fix connectivity issues               

Good Luck!

Message 4 of 11
paulmHK
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

Thanks, I will re-post over there...

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if any suggestions help. Please give feedback on the questions presented. 

Thank you.

@paulmHK wrote:

Thanks, I will re-post over there...

Message 6 of 11
paulmHK
Guide

Thanks for the advice. I have now updated both satellites and the Router with the new firmware. Interestingly, I had to do this manually as both the Orbi App and browser would not see any new firmware updates.

I've also read the advice given on the other link provided. I am holding off making any further changes until I can see how things are following the firmware update

Message 7 of 11
paulmHK
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

ISP Modem - Its a Huawei modem from the telco (i will check the model# later)

Home Size - An apartment thats Approx 1000 sqft, all on one level

Distance betweem the Router and Sats : The router is in the living room, in an elevated position. The Sats are in adjoining rooms. I would Say Sat 1 is about 8 ft from the router (but separated physicaly by a wall) Sat 2 is probably around 20 - 254ft or so from the router, separated physically by 2 adjoining walls.

The backhaul status of each satellite is ''Good''.  Both are connected to the Orbi Router with a connection type of 5G.

I have updated the firmware of all to V4.6.3.7_2.0.40

I've noted some of the other changes suggested on this thread but may hold off making any config changes and see the impact of the firmware update has. Will post a status in due course. 

Message 8 of 11
paulmHK
Guide

Thanks again for the advice. I have updated the firmware as suggested. For now I will monitor the impact of this update before making any router config changes. Perhaps the firmware update will prove to be good enough.

Will post an update in due course

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

@paulmHK wrote:

Home Size - An apartment thats Approx 1000 sqft, all on one level

Distance betweem the Router and Sats : The router is in the living room, in an elevated position. The Sats are in adjoining rooms. I would Say Sat 1 is about 8 ft from the router (but separated physicaly by a wall) Sat 2 is probably around 20 - 254ft or so from the router, separated physically by 2 adjoining walls. 8 and 20 feet maybe too close between the RBR and RBS. What materials are these walls? 

The backhaul status of each satellite is ''Good''.  Both are connected to the Orbi Router with a connection type of 5G.

I have updated the firmware of all to V4.6.3.7_2.0.40

I've noted some of the other changes suggested on this thread but may hold off making any config changes and see the impact of the firmware update has. Will post a status in due course. 

Message 10 of 11
tucsontico
Virtuoso

With only 1000 sq ft to cover, two satellites are probably overkill. I'd recommend removing one satellite from your system, Normally (whatever that is!), the router alone will cover 2500 sq feet of "open" space. If you add in walls, appliances and other reflective/absorptive materials you're lucky to get 1500 sq ft of solid coverage.

For example, my house is 2500-3000 sq feet on a single level. It is constructed of concrete blocks with a stucco exterior. It is not a completely "open plan" home with the interior walls being "standard" wooden framing with drywall surfaces. I use a router and two satellites becuase I need to get coverage outside my living space for security cameras and other devices (pool equipment, etc.). My Orbi RBK 753S provides very good coverage inside and outside my home. The placement of the satellites was VERY critical and required many days of location experimentation, measuring signals and simple patience to allow the Orbi to "settle".  

Keep us posted on your setup and weather or not your Orbi is working as expected/designed.

Good Luck!

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7