Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Bricked Orbit - Failed Firmware Update

CaptStevo
Star

Bricked Orbit - Failed Firmware Update

Hello all,
I attempted an update to the 2.1.4 firmware tonight, and apparently didn't upload the entire file in the process of updating my router unit.

The orbit now powers on with a solid white ring, flashing power LED, and no access to the web GUI.

I tried several resets, and tried to TFTP the firmware image with no success. Has anyone had success getting support for something like this? I have had my unit for over a year so I'm worried I'm out of luck with a bricked unit.

Thanks for any help.
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
CaptStevo
Star

Well, I owe you a cold one for the hint to use the built-in TFTP client to attempt my unbricking.

It worked!

For anyone who has the same problem, I've highlighted what I used below in case you aren't as command-line savvy.

My problems started after having my browser crash at about 85% through the upload doing a manual firmware update. I let the router sit for almost 30 minutes, but from then on, it would have a solid white light with an (eventual) flashing green power LED.  No amount of resets or power cycles would get it out of this state.

So, I used the above mentioned article to factory reset the Orbi, and after waiting for the amber LED, then 10 flashing green LEDs, used the command: tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT path_to_your_firmware.img

InkedScreenshot 2018-04-26 09.08.13_LI.jpg

My screenshot looks a bit different, as I'm using Windows Powershell, not the regular command line.  When it's done, it should show "Transfer successful" - now wait!  The Orbi takes a few minutes to power-cycle and get set up.  Head to orbilogin.com and complete the initial setup.

Here are a few links to get set up with Windows TFTP and a guide on how to flash.

Install TFTP on Windows 7/10: https://www.pcwdld.com/tftp-client-for-windows-7

Use TFTP to flash via command-line: http://visihow.com/Perform_a_firmware_recovery_on_a_router (Use STEP 7)

Thanks again, disaster averted!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you use this method to recover the router? Be sure that you enabled TFTP on WIndows and not use this linked TFTP app here. Some said it doesn't work vs Windows does. 

https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP

If you can't seen to recover, please phone contact NG support...

Message 2 of 8
CaptStevo
Star

Thanks, I'll give the built in TFTP client a shot and report back.
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope it works...

Message 4 of 8
CaptStevo
Star

Well, I owe you a cold one for the hint to use the built-in TFTP client to attempt my unbricking.

It worked!

For anyone who has the same problem, I've highlighted what I used below in case you aren't as command-line savvy.

My problems started after having my browser crash at about 85% through the upload doing a manual firmware update. I let the router sit for almost 30 minutes, but from then on, it would have a solid white light with an (eventual) flashing green power LED.  No amount of resets or power cycles would get it out of this state.

So, I used the above mentioned article to factory reset the Orbi, and after waiting for the amber LED, then 10 flashing green LEDs, used the command: tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT path_to_your_firmware.img

InkedScreenshot 2018-04-26 09.08.13_LI.jpg

My screenshot looks a bit different, as I'm using Windows Powershell, not the regular command line.  When it's done, it should show "Transfer successful" - now wait!  The Orbi takes a few minutes to power-cycle and get set up.  Head to orbilogin.com and complete the initial setup.

Here are a few links to get set up with Windows TFTP and a guide on how to flash.

Install TFTP on Windows 7/10: https://www.pcwdld.com/tftp-client-for-windows-7

Use TFTP to flash via command-line: http://visihow.com/Perform_a_firmware_recovery_on_a_router (Use STEP 7)

Thanks again, disaster averted!

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome. I like beer too man. LOL.

Glad you go it working.

One thing to keep in mind for doing any manual FW updates, I recommend using IE11 or FF browsers for doing FW updates. Don't let any mobile apps do it. Use a PC or Laptop. Also be sure if you do manual updates, connect with a PC or laptop with a LAN cable. Do not perform the update via wireless. This can present problems as well using wireless. 

Also disable any PC security browser plug ins or OS platform security temporarily while you manually update. Re-eanable after updating. 

Enjoy now. 

Message 6 of 8
TwistedK
Tutor

Thank you. Came here looking for this. Worked for me too!!

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you go it working.

Enjoy. 

@TwistedK wrote:

Thank you. Came here looking for this. Worked for me too!!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7