Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bricked RBR50

Ryanwalsh
Tutor

Bricked RBR50

Purchased a new RBR 50 yesterday and made the mistake of trying to update the firmware over the air. As seems to occur the router is bricked. I used the tftp method on a MacBook. The process will start and get to 60-65k blocks then stop. I guess my next step is to download the firmware file again. Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Bricked RBR50

@Ryanwalsh wrote:
I had a few good key learning points that I will try to sum up.

-It looks like it’s not very advisable to take your firmware updates over the air through the app. I’ll let the smarter folks comment there.
-There is a reasonably good help document if you search “How to update firmware via TFTP.”
-Make sure you read the firmware release notes (duh, but it escaped me.)
-Don’t forget to set your static IP address
-Store your firmware image somewhere easy to remember
-For me, the password I ended up needing to use was the one on the bottom of the router.

I offer what I consider better advice.....DON"T update your FW at all.  Let NG worry about that.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

Please try to factory reset the Router and when the Router comes up, try an auto- or manual update.

Message 2 of 11
Ryanwalsh
Tutor

I’ve tried a factory reset several times. No matter how long I hold the paper clip the router won’t cycle. If I power cycle the router it will flash green for a few seconds then back to red with a white flashing top light.
Message 3 of 11
ekhalil
Master

@Ryanwalsh wrote:
.....No matter how long I hold the paper clip the router won’t cycle. ......

How do you know that it's won't cycle? When you see the top flashing LED ring, do you see the wifi SSID ORBInn on a computer? Have you tried to attach to this SSID?

Message 4 of 11
Ryanwalsh
Tutor

I’d expect to see the LED near the power light go off or change. I believe the manual said to amber. There is never a change. I cannot see the SSID on my network list and cannot access it via the app. I also cannot directly access the router via Ethernet connection. I can ping the router. I can even get it to accept about 2/3 of the firmware over TFTP. I just can’t get it to complete the process without erroring out
Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You might want to return the system for another if you can't get the RBR recovered.

Message 6 of 11
Ryanwalsh
Tutor

I figured it out. I was trying to download the latest firmware. I read the release notes (go figure) and found that I needed to first install a previous version. I installed that via TFTP and now I have access to the router. Thanks all for your help!
Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it fixed. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Ryanwalsh wrote:
I figured it out. I was trying to download the latest firmware. I read the release notes (go figure) and found that I needed to first install a previous version. I installed that via TFTP and now I have access to the router. Thanks all for your help!

Message 8 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Ryanwalsh wrote:

Lets hope the latest FW doesn't set you back

Message 9 of 11
Ryanwalsh
Tutor

-It looks like it’s not very advisable to take your firmware updates over the air through the app. I’ll let the smarter folks comment there.
-There is a reasonably good help document if you search “How to update firmware via TFTP.”
-For me, the password I ended up needing to use was the one on the bottom of the router.
Message 10 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Ryanwalsh wrote:

I offer what I consider better advice.....DON"T update your FW at all.  Let NG worry about that.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7