Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bridge Mode on Xfinity Gateway

BYellin
Aspirant

Bridge Mode on Xfinity Gateway

I have a 1 gbyte xfinity gateway connected to an Orbi RBR40 router with three satalites. The Orbi is in AP mode.  I turned off the wifi on the xfinity gateway.  Should I also put the gateway into bridge mode?  If I do should I change the Orbi from AP to Router?  Also, the gateway is also a voice modem where I have my phone connected.  Will putting the gateway into bridge mode affect my phone usage?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Bridge Mode on Xfinity Gateway

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

If the Orbi is in AP mode, you need to leave the modem in router mode. Bridge mode on the modem means you could use the Orbi in router mode. 

Some cases where bridging the modem could effect phone usage, however i would contact your ISP to ask about this. 

@BYellin wrote:

I have a 1 gbyte xfinity gateway connected to an Orbi RBR40 router with three satalites. The Orbi is in AP mode.  I turned off the wifi on the xfinity gateway.  Should I also put the gateway into bridge mode?  If I do should I change the Orbi from AP to Router?  Also, the gateway is also a voice modem where I have my phone connected.  Will putting the gateway into bridge mode affect my phone usage?

Message 2 of 6
BYellin
Aspirant

Thanks for getting back to me.  the mfr is Technicolor and the model # is CGM414COM.  Is there an advantage to switching the Gateway to Bridge mode and the modem to router mode or should I just leave it as is?

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

For easy of setup up, I would leave it as is if it all working. 

When in bridge mode you can use the RBR in router mode and thus use more of the RBRs features that are not enabled when in AP mode. Things like access controls and parental controls and such are not enabled in AP mode. Just Wifi features is about it for AP mode. 

Message 4 of 6
BYellin
Aspirant

Thanks for your help.  I will leave the setup as is.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy.Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation