Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Broadcasting not working on router LAN side

chichang
Aspirant

Broadcasting not working on router LAN side

I want to broadcast magic packet to a computer connected to a satellite via network cable. I verified that it works with anything connected to the wifi, and it also works from another computer connected to another satellite via network cable, but it does not work from a computer connected to the router via network cable to a LAN port. Is there anything I can do to make it work?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
chichang
Aspirant

I have found my problem. The computer connected to router LAN side has 2 NIC and acts as a router. wol command needs to specify the right broadcast address. For example: wol -i 192.168.2.255 mac_address. Other computers or smartphones has only one IP and one broadcast address so no need for -i.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Talking of some magic packets for WoL? 

How is it sent on your network, UDO datagram to port 0, 7 or 9, or directly over Ethernet as EtherType 0x0842?

In almost any case, that's a job for Netgear to ensure these common WoL with the (not so) magic six bytes of 256 (Hex: FF FF FF FF FF FF) payload can reach all wired and wirless devices on the Orbi system.

Message 2 of 3
chichang
Aspirant

I have found my problem. The computer connected to router LAN side has 2 NIC and acts as a router. wol command needs to specify the right broadcast address. For example: wol -i 192.168.2.255 mac_address. Other computers or smartphones has only one IP and one broadcast address so no need for -i.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7