Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Brother MFC-9130CW scanner now works with new Orbi

Hawkmoth
Star

Brother MFC-9130CW scanner now works with new Orbi

I am hoping this post will help someone else. I'm not searching for help for myself anymore.

Since installing a new Orbi system about a week or so ago, I have had persistent but intermittent problems connecting to the scanner on our Brother MFC-9130CW multi-function printer. The printer portion works fine, and all of the other 20 or so connected devices also work as expected. Only the scanner has been unreliable. It would be available sometimes, perhaps half the time, and completely unaddressable at other times. Restarting the printer often worked to get a connection, but not always. The scanner had worked 100% reliably with the Apple Airport Extreme that the Orbi replaced, so it seemed like the new Orbi must be the culprit.

No adjustment to the router settings seemed to matter. Because the Orbi was functioning very well with everything else and because I was frustrated to the point of sending the Orbi back and trying something else, I began to consider the other components of my environment. To cut to the outcome, yesterday I found the latest firmware update for the Brother printer/scanner. After getting it installed, the scanner becaume 100% reliable once again. I have had no more connection failures at all since then.

The lesson for me is that a new component in this case actually might not be (was not) the source of a new problem. Perhaps the Orbi exposed an issue that the Airport Extreme was papering over? In this case, the printer/scanner was the culprit, and the firmware update brought up to speed on the new network.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: Brother MFC-9130CW scanner now works with new Orbi

@Hawkmoth wrote:

The lesson for me is that a new component in this case actually might not be (was not) the source of a new problem. Perhaps the Orbi exposed an issue that the Airport Extreme was papering over? In this case, the printer/scanner was the culprit, and the firmware update brought up to speed on the new network.

Thank you for posting.  Indeed, it is not true that devices will necessarily "still work" just because you swap out one wireless router and install a different one using the same SSID and passwords.  People with wireless printers often report problems and they go away once the printer is properly reinstalled/reconnected to the new wireless network.

Message 2 of 3
Hawkmoth
Star

Re: Brother MFC-9130CW scanner now works with new Orbi

@Mikey94025 wrote:

People with wireless printers often report problems and they go away once the printer is properly reinstalled/reconnected to the new wireless network

One more comment, to clarify: I had repeatedly set my printer back to its factory defaults and reconnected it to the wireless network. The firmware update was the key in my case.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7