Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Brute Force Attack

NovaJay
Aspirant

Brute Force Attack

I get anywhere between 20-30 notifications each day saying Neatgear stopped a Brute Force Attack on a laptop connected to my network. How can i find out if these are legit and where they originate from?

Also the laptop is locked, is the attack trying to unlock it?

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Brute Force Attack

What NG router system do you have? Model?

From what app are you seeing these notifications? 

@NovaJay wrote:

I get anywhere between 20-30 notifications each day saying Neatgear stopped a Brute Force Attack on a laptop connected to my network. How can i find out if these are legit and where they originate from?

Also the laptop is locked, is the attack trying to unlock it?

Message 2 of 6
NovaJay
Aspirant

Orbi 50, the app is the iOS Orbi app.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Is Bitdefender Armor activated on this Orbi?  If so, that is where the notices are coming from.

Message 4 of 6
NovaJay
Aspirant

yes it is, but why would I get that many notifications per day? is it truly an outside attempt to get into my laptop? its at home not a business.

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@NovaJay wrote:

yes it is, but why would I get that many notifications per day? is it truly an outside attempt to get into my laptop? its at home not a business.

It could be a totally bogus report, or there could be some device on the local network that is trying to connect to the laptop for some valid reason.  (Once I saw "Free Trial", which implies, "after that you pay", I have never activated Armor.  So, I have no experience.)

You might try posting the question in the Armor community forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor 

And, it might be wroth exploring the Armor "Portal" (whatever the heck that is):

https://kb.netgear.com/000059462/How-do-I-launch-the-NETGEAR-Armor-portal-through-the-router-web-int... 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7