Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Buffering video when streaming from NAS connected to RBR50 router

Chr0m0s0me
Initiate

Buffering video when streaming from NAS connected to RBR50 router

Hi there,

Looking for some help with my new Orbi.

I purchased the RBK50 on boxing day. FW is 2.2.1.210.

I have been having problems streaming media from my NAS to my Xbox One. The files are mostly MKV around 10gb movies and 2-3 gig tv shows. The NAS is wired directly to the RBR50 router with CAT6. When I look at the Orbi App it shows the Xbox One on 5G fluctuating between 130Mbps - 780Mpbs and a strong wifi connection connected to the Orbi Satellite (which is strange because the Xbox One is actually quite close to the Router but behind a cinderblock wall). From the Xbox One it states the wifi connection is at 92% with 40Mbps/10Mbps. I have run several speed tests on my phone from various locations in the house and they always come back with 40Mbps/10Mbps with low ping times. So the coverage of the Orbi appears to be exactly what I was looking for. I had an old Asus RT-N56U and while it was great at my old 2 storey house it can't handle the bungalows larger footprint.

Only other devices connected are two phones, Apple TV and two computers (one wifi and one hardwired) but they are off during streaming of video tests.

A bit about the house. It is 3000 square feet built in 1957. Its a bungalow with 1500 square feet on the main floor and another 1500 in the basement. The house is approximately 70 feet wide. A cinderblock concrete wall runs through the middle of the house (and the perimeter) in the basement. The walls on the main floor are plaster. The walls in the basement are drywall. The distance between the router and satellite is about40 feet. During setup the solid blue ring appeared.

So I just can't seem to figure out why it can't stream the media wirelessly. I could hard wire the Xbox One and the tv on the main floor but I purchased the Orbi so I wouldn't have too. Maybe I was incorrect in thinking this.  I just assumed a couple hundred Mbps would be sufficient to stream files.  If I was going to hardwire the devices I could actually just keep the Asus RT-N56U and get by with no wifi in the furthest bedroom.

Any ideas on what could be going on or things I can try?  I have been reading the forums and it seems like some others have had or are having these issues but can't seem to find a solution that worked for anyone.

Thank you.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the streaming work if you have the xbox wired to the back of the router? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using? Try WPA2 and AES only. 

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1667485/highlight/true#...

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

Message 2 of 6
Chr0m0s0me
Initiate

Just thought I would update incase anyone else ran into this problem.  I appreciated the above response but I could tell you didn't read my message (or maybe its just a bot) as many of the questions you asked were in my original post.

Anyway I ended up hard wiring the Xbox One and it solved all the issues.

Message 3 of 6
ekhalil
Master

The following can affect the wireless throughput:

1- MU-MIMO which makes use of multi spatial streams to and from the device: Xbox should support MU-MIMO

2- Implicit Beamforming which allows much better data transmissions boost in the mid-long range device setups

You can find those parameters under >>ADVANCED>>Advanced Setup>>Wireless Settings>>

Message 4 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you figured it out. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Chr0m0s0me wrote:

Just thought I would update incase anyone else ran into this problem.  I appreciated the above response but I could tell you didn't read my message (or maybe its just a bot) as many of the questions you asked were in my original post.

Anyway I ended up hard wiring the Xbox One and it solved all the issues.

Message 5 of 6
raven_au
Virtuoso

@Chr0m0s0me wrote:

Hi there,

Looking for some help with my new Orbi.

I purchased the RBK50 on boxing day. FW is 2.2.1.210.

I have been having problems streaming media from my NAS to my Xbox One. The files are mostly MKV around 10gb movies and 2-3 gig tv shows. The NAS is wired directly to the RBR50 router with CAT6. When I look at the Orbi App it shows the Xbox One on 5G fluctuating between 130Mbps - 780Mpbs and a strong wifi connection connected to the Orbi Satellite (which is strange because the Xbox One is actually quite close to the Router but behind a cinderblock wall). From the Xbox One it states the wifi connection is at 92% with 40Mbps/10Mbps. I have run several speed tests on my phone from various locations in the house and they always come back with 40Mbps/10Mbps with low ping times. So the coverage of the Orbi appears to be exactly what I was looking for. I had an old Asus RT-N56U and while it was great at my old 2 storey house it can't handle the bungalows larger footprint.

Hardwiring the XBox is an obvious solution but you shouldn't need to.

The readings sound OK too.

Those movies and shows sound like they are around 10-12 Mbps and 3-5 Mbps so they should be fine given the readings you get for your devices.

What are you using to play these shows?

I know there had been a long standing problem with the Plex client on the XBox constantly buffering but I think that was only for 4K UHD shows but I could be mistaken.

One thing that has been concerning me lately is the Plex client on my devices coming up with a message saying the connection isn't fast enough to play my show which should be plain wrong. I also saw my son's XBox game update downloads fluctuate a lot and stop for longer periods of time than they should.

I'm wondering if it is due to large fluctuations in wireless throughtput but haven't  been able to confirm this.

Similar to you I connected the XBox via a couple of power line adapters and while the fluctuations are still present they are significatly less.

Ian

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7