Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Buffering video when streaming from NAS

Buffering video when streaming from NAS

Hi All,

I recently moved to Orbi (RBK50) from an Asus RT-AC88U. The 88u was great, except I had some dead spots in the house.

The Orbi mostly works well, except for when I try to stream movies from my NAS to Apple TV. When watching movies, they constantly rebuffer and pause every few minutes. Movies are encoded around 20mb/s, so nothing terribly high. This is a deal breaker for me.

I have the Apple TV wired into the satellite. I have the NAS wired directly to the main Orbi unit. I have also tried connecting Apple TV wirelessly and same issue.

Netflix/everything else that streams over Internet works fine, even 4K content. I tried a couple of different apps on Apple TV and both pause and buffer continuously. 

I'm on latest firmware. I have tried resetting the Orbi but same issue persists. I have turned off daisy chain toplogy (on or off is same). WMM is turned on (shouldn't make a difference).

I see someone else had similar issue, but didn't see a resolution.

This was NOT an issue on the 88u router. Also not a problem if I play movie on a PC wired to router.

Any thoughts?  Thanks,

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions

I think I solved it: I put my orginal Asus router back but guess what, same thing happened.

I started thinking maybe it's not the network afterall...

I use an old ReadyNAS using CIFS file sharing protocol, which is what it's always been. I enabled NFS, re-added the network share on the Apple TV (Infuse app) and it magically started playing without buffering on the Orbi.

Not sure why NFS is better than CIFS, or why it had previously worked, but it seems to be OK now. Fingers crossed....

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 14

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

I think it can be something wrong with your wireless backhaul:

- I would make a wifi scan and check the channels used for the backhaul and if there are other neighboring routers using the same channels.

- The wifi scan would also tell you if the wireless backhaul is using 5GHz or 2.4GHz channels,

- Have you tried getting the router and satellite closer -if possible- and see if that improves the performance of the backhaul?

- Do you have the possibility to use wired backhaul?

Message 2 of 14

I don’t think I can change the backhaul channel though, correct?

i can do wired. I can try moving satellite closer to router, but then I can’t wire the Apple TV in. 

Message 3 of 14

I also turned off the satellite and connected Apple TV directly to router over wireless and same thing happened. So it’s not the backhaul.

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Does streaming over wired work ok? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

You can try this, set a new IP address pool range on the Orbi router, 192.168.1.100 thru .200. Then go into your NAS device and if you can, set a STATIC IP address ON the NAS device outside of the Orbi routers IP address Pool that you just set. Don't set it inside, set it out side on either side of the pool...Test to see if you notice anything different.

NAS should always be wire conneted to the base router. 

@Macklemonster wrote:

I also turned off the satellite and connected Apple TV directly to router over wireless and same thing happened. So it’s not the backhaul.

Message 5 of 14
ekhalil
Master

Seems that SW 2.2.1.210 has issues with wired devices in general. I think that you would get better performance if the NAS was connected wirelessly.
Message 6 of 14

Ok so did a bunch more testing.

I changed pretty much every wireless setting (WMM, MIMO, daisychain, etc). with same results.

I moved the Apple TV to about 5 feet from the router and same results.

I connected the Apple TV to router via ethernet and it streamed flawlessly.

So issue is only over wireless.

Anything else I can try? Otherwise they'll have to go back (a second time) unfortunately. 

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Turn down the 2.4Ghz wifi power to 25% then reconnect the ATV place about 12 feet away or so. See if the ATV will connect to the 5Ghz radio on the Router. If it does, does streaming still buffer? 

Do other wifi device buffer when streaming from the NAS thru the router?

@Macklemonster wrote:

Ok so did a bunch more testing.

I changed pretty much every wireless setting (WMM, MIMO, daisychain, etc). with same results.

I moved the Apple TV to about 5 feet from the router and same results.

I connected the Apple TV to router via ethernet and it streamed flawlessly.

So issue is only over wireless.

Anything else I can try? Otherwise they'll have to go back (a second time) unfortunately. 

Message 8 of 14

The Apple TV is hard wired to the satellite, not sure what adjusting the 2.4 band will make a difference. However, even when connecting the Apple TV via wireless it always connects to 5g band anyway.

Message 9 of 14
ekhalil
Master

@Macklemonster wrote:

The Apple TV is hard wired to the satellite, not sure what adjusting the 2.4 band will make a difference. However, even when connecting the Apple TV via wireless it always connects to 5g band anyway.

Have you tried to change the 5 GHz channel? It can be that the channel you are using has much noise!

Message 10 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the ATV Stream when wirelessly connected to the router and not connected to the satellite? Seen others have problems streaming thru a satellite. Usually means the connection is on 2.4Ghz and not 5ghz. I know my one DISH Joey thats connected to a 5Ghz wireless bridge streams well thru the satellite in the next room. Sounds like streaming with the satellite isn't working right. 

@Macklemonster wrote:

Message 11 of 14

I think I solved it: I put my orginal Asus router back but guess what, same thing happened.

I started thinking maybe it's not the network afterall...

I use an old ReadyNAS using CIFS file sharing protocol, which is what it's always been. I enabled NFS, re-added the network share on the Apple TV (Infuse app) and it magically started playing without buffering on the Orbi.

Not sure why NFS is better than CIFS, or why it had previously worked, but it seems to be OK now. Fingers crossed....

Message 12 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working better. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 14
ekhalil
Master

Great. Good luck!
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors