Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Betreff: [Bug] Wired backhaul + Router reboot = KO

manuel-c23
Star

[Bug] Wired backhaul + Router reboot = KO

1. I use a wired backhaul connection
  2. The router gets rebooted (e.g. auto firmware update, settings change, blackout, manual reboot)
  3. Backhaul connection goes KO, the system don't recover the wired backhaul connection

My firmware is V2.1.4.10, I have 1 satellite and no external switches (direct connection between router and satellite).

This is a known bug, see:

Can we have a proper fix, please?

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
budy
Luminary

How, do you know, that the wired backhaul goes bad? On my RBK40, it sometimes takes minutes until the state of my wired backhaul is displayed properly again, although I can confirm that the satellite is connected via ethernet and ping times indicate, that is also connecting via it's wired backhaul.

In the meantime, the RBR's UI shows all sorts of scary states until is finally settles on "Good" again.

Message 2 of 10
franktribe
Apprentice

Re: [Bug] Wired backhaul + Router reboot = KO

Same problem here. 2 satellites. Ethernet backhaul. Router rebooted. System was unresponsive for hours. Even tried slowly powering on each unit one by one waiting in between. Ended up having to go back to 5G backhaul then it recovered. 5G backhaul is more stable for me. I have daisy chain off.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Heavy segmented home? How so?

What Mfr and model Switches are you using? Any of them managed? If so, model#?

Did you set up 1 satellite first via wireless back haul, then connect the ethernet cable to the satellite from the router and let it reconfigure the system. Give it at least 5 minutes and watch for the top LED to turn BLUE if successful.

Does the satellite connect via wired back haul if directly connected to the back of the router with out anything in the middle?

@franktribe wrote:
Same problem here. 2 satellites. Ethernet backhaul. Router rebooted. System was unresponsive for hours. Even tried slowly powering on each unit one by one waiting in between. Ended up having to go back to 5G backhaul then it recovered. 5G backhaul is more stable for me. I have daisy chain off.

Message 4 of 10
budy
Luminary

…so one thing I did notice over the last months is, that there are more people seem to have issues with the 5x-Orbis, than the 4x ones. This might be due to the fact, that the 5x are more widespread, but still…

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, my 40 series has been working solid since I got it back in Feb. No where near the issues seen like with the 50 series.

@budy wrote:

…so one thing I did notice over the last months is, that there are more people seem to have issues with the 5x-Orbis, than the 4x ones. This might be due to the fact, that the 5x are more widespread, but still…

Message 6 of 10
manuel-c23
Star

@budy wrote:

How, do you know, that the wired backhaul goes bad?

Because after some hours the wired backhaul still doesn't work. I have to manually disconnect and reconnect the ethernet cable.

Message 7 of 10
budy
Luminary

@manuel-c23 wrote:

@budy wrote:

Because after some hours the wired backhaul still doesn't work. I have to manually disconnect and reconnect the ethernet cable.

Don't want to be pedantic, but how did you verify that? Did you some ping tests to verify, that the sat is not connected via the wired backhaul? As I said, the indicator on the Orbi web site is not very reliable. Have you checked the ping performance or the arp table on the Orbi router when pinging the satellite?

Message 8 of 10
manuel-c23
Star

@budy wrote:

@manuel-c23 wrote:

@budy wrote:

Don't want to be pedantic, but how did you verify that? Did you some ping tests to verify, that the sat is not connected via the wired backhaul? As I said, the indicator on the Orbi web site is not very reliable. Have you checked the ping performance or the arp table on the Orbi router when pinging the satellite?

Because the wireless backhaul connection is out-of-range and the connection doesn't work at all. If I disconnect and reconnect the ethernet cable, the connection (with the wired backhaul) starts working again.

Message 9 of 10
budy
Luminary

It would depend on how exactly the satellites are configuring themselves at boot time. Afaik, the satellites always try wireless first, even if a LAN connection is present. That said, you could try to poweroff your satellite and unplug the LAN cable, then power it on. Wait for a couple of minutes and plug the LAN cable back in. By that time the whole initialization process should be over. Maybe this gets you somewhere.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7