Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Buh-bye Orbi

pedrore
Guide

Buh-bye Orbi

I've finally had enough with the flaky firmware and random reboots and my router/satellite combo has become an expensive lesson to no longer trust the Netgear brand. It really is a shame that a product this high-end with so much promotion and promise has been such a let down, especially when it seems to come down to the software, not the hardware.

So, bye-bye Orbi and hello Google WiFi.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

maybe a configuration issue.

Having zero issues with my Orbi system. Online since FW update 8 days ago. 

Message 2 of 9
idahoski
Tutor

I had Google Wifi and had constant problems.  I hope you have better luck!

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Just curious, using an Orbi system now? 

Message 4 of 9
idahoski
Tutor

I have been limping along with Orbi with a smartplug connected to the satellite to reset it as needed.  I have tried all recent firmwares with little improvement.  With several wifi devices that notify me when they disconnect, it has been very painful to deal with.  I ended up with an Eero bridged to the Orbi router for the family to stay connected while I tried to get stable Wifi from Orbi.  I also switched one security camera that was constantly disconnecting from Orbi.  It has't had a problem since.  This weekend I am trying out a Ubiquiti access point and their EdgeRouter X.  I even switched out my cable modem twice thinking it might help.

Message 5 of 9
t_k
Luminary
Luminary

@pedrore

FWIW, you're making the right call. Netgear should refund you, but you may not be up for the effort required to make that happen.

If you bought the device in the same place that allows reviews, PLEASE POST A REVIEW OF YOUR EXPERIENCES. Due to the flood of positive reviews on places like Amazon, buyers don't get a sense of what they're in for.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

It's not always a FW or HW issue. There are many factors that can cause routers and wifi device to not work. 

Many reviews are reflections of users who probably have had good experiences with there systems. I presume there are some reviews what aren't good either. The forums are here to help identify what is the real cause of the issues presented by users. 

Been enjoying my Orbi system since installation. 

@t_kwrote:

@pedrore

FWIW, you're making the right call. Netgear should refund you, but you may not be up for the effort required to make that happen.

If you bought the device in the same place that allows reviews, PLEASE POST A REVIEW OF YOUR EXPERIENCES. Due to the flood of positive reviews on places like Amazon, buyers don't get a sense of what they're in for.

Message 7 of 9
pedrore
Guide

I've been enoying interruption-free connections since switching to Google WiFi.

Orbi was fine when it was working, just extremely unreliable with the router rebooting on its own at random times. I can accept occasional WiFi glitches, but the router should be at least as reliable as a broadband modem, in other words it should be rock solid.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 8 of 9
Yld2rob
Luminary

I suffered with Orbi for over a year. Sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't (new firmware seem to break it). Tired of the yelling through the house "Dad- The network is down". I went to the 2nd gen eero and had zero issues. Getting 250MBPS plus throughput to devices. Finally, I do not have to worry about wi-fi any longer!!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7