Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Building a home net work

zupnikeran
Tutor

Building a home net work

Hi

I am building a new 3 story house each floor about 1700 sqf.   I intend to have both a wired and wireless network.  Will have home automation, smart lights, shades etc.  Would like to build a Netgear network.

Need a router

Need switch for about 48 ports for wired clients (some POE ports)

Need about 4-5 sattelites or access points

Should I go with a Mesh system?  What type of Netgear hardware would u recomend?  What model router, switch, satelites/AP?

I would like a strong network for smart TVs, gaming, video conference etc.

Many thanks for your advice.

Eran

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Can find your MESH system here based on home size if you want to consider MESH:

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/default.aspx
https://www.netgear.com/orbi/wifi-systems.aspx
https://kb.netgear.com/000038220/What-are-the-hardware-specifications-of-the-available-Orbi-WiFi-Sys...

I recommend non managed and non green ethernet switches if you consider connecting satellites to the main host RBR:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

A "mesh WiFi" system would be a strong contender for the "WiFi" part of the solution, because of the ease of administration and ability of WiFi devices to "roam" from one part of the house to another.

This is really awkward time to be purchasing a WiFi system.  Every manufacturer is releasing products that support WiFi6, and none of these products are "fully baked."  (Netgear, for example, has two entirely different WiFi6 product liines.) I have seen NO technical "head to head" comparisons of the various brands and models.  Products that can take advantage of WiFi6 are only beginning to appear and most people have none of  them.

My advice is (a) to delay purchase of the router/WiFi system until the last possible moment, and (b) run cat6 ethernet cable to every place you can possibly think of that might ever need to be networked.  Future security cameras.  Future garage door openers, sprinkler controllers, pool controllers, Gazebo locations for WiFi access points, where teenagers may hang out, and (c) have the installer actually certify the cable installation.  Not a dumb, "Yes, each wire is connected to the pin it is supposed to be connected to" tester.  But an actual gigabit performance report. You don't want to install something in two years and find out that the cable was crimped or stretched inside the wall *somewhere* or the jack was terminated incorrectly.

Message 3 of 8
Cihan
Guide

Wifi6 depends on your budget & internet connection or would you like to be futureproof for the next a couple of years & for future speeds. 

After moving my new house, I've started to experience a lot of wifi issues with the ISP supplied devices and decided to get something else immediately. 

Wifi6 devices are mostly expensive since they are new and according to comments they are a little bit unreliable due firmwares are not matured.

I've purchased Orbi RBK53 for my 3 story house and put one device (R to base, Satellites to uppers) to each floor. I've found my optimal settings via trial & error and it is so far so good. Sometimes we experience a jump from a satellite to another one in a specific room but i think i can fix it via relocating a satellite.

I've a lot of IOT devices, plugs, lights, speakers, air purifier, frames,cameras, doorbell even in the backyard at skur and I don't experience any issue at all (except dyson once).

One of the satellite is connected via ethernet, other one uses wifi backhaul and both perform almost same and hit my 255 mbits speed limit all the time. If you are not going to obtain 1-2gbps internet speeds in future, i think you will be ok with current ac orbi series.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

I neglected to mention, "bury some conduit".  Once a building is "buttoned up", patios, landscaping, hardscape, etc. and then I say, "wouldn't it be cool to have a security camera at the back of the yard looking at the back of the house?"  Oh, man.  It is practially impossible to install a cable that goes from inside the house to somewhere outside the house.  My experience with battery powered cameras has been dismal.  To preserve battery life, the cameras turn off all the time and don't record until they detect motion, and then only for a few seconds.  An PoE camera, on the other hand, can run continuously, record to an NVR, do all sort of cool things.

I'd also install electrical conduit to more outdoor places.  Want a garden fountain in the future?  Lights along the driveway or sidewalk to front door?  Landscape lighting?  Sprinkler valves?  Cheap now.  Expensive later.

Don't forget the doorbell.  I am spared the dilemma over "should I install a Ring Doorbell? (concerns over Police, etc.)" becasue my doorbell wiring is on the SIDE of my doorway, facing across the door.  It could have been put on one side of the door facing out, but it wasn't.  No power means "battery powered doorbell camera", with all the shortcomings that entails.

Message 5 of 8
zupnikeran
Tutor

Thanks for the answers !!!

I wonder which concept should I follow for the Wifi part of the network.

Should I use stand alone access points (wrc 510 fo example) or should I go for mesh satellites like (orbi or orbi pro)?

I have a lot of wired connection so I will need a router (which on should I get?) and then a large switch (24-48 ports some with POE).

I assume for best performance I should backhaul several standalone access points like the wac510 with wires connection.to the switch. Or is it better to use satellites like Orbi and should I backhaul them with wifi or with a wired connection.
Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

The attraction of "mesh" products, such as the Netgear Orbi (and similar products from every vendor) is a "unified solution".  i.e. the router is built in.  Coordination between access points is built in.  Devices "roam" seamlessly.  Management of the entire network is centralized in one device.

If I were to "start over" today, I have no idea if I would pick the Netgear Orbi solution.  I selected Orbi back in 2018 when it was "the only game in town" and I (thought that I) was familiar with Netgear products.  (Was that ever naive!)

For sure you need to have space to mount all this gear (patch panel, switch, router, UPS, NAS, NVR, etc. etc.), electrical outlets, and air flow.

What is the time frame?

Message 7 of 8
zupnikeran
Tutor

Hi

Timefram - I am in the middle of construction.  I made already all the preperations for the wired connetion around the house.  Have about 30 places with CAT7 all runnig to a central communication place (a thecnical room).   I assume I will do keysotne + install hardware in about 6 month wher we are about to move in.

As mentioned, interenet will be provided by the cable company modem.  I intend to connect the cable company modem to a router, from there to a near by switch fo about 24-48 ports (some with POE), from there the wire CAT7 will feed the wired clients such as smater TVs etc.   At some place in the house either MESH satelites or stand alone Access Points will provide wifi coverage (I assume about 4-6 nodes will be needed to cover all the house and the outdoors).

My main questions is which concept should I follow: A) the MESH concept instualin satelites like Orbi or Orbi pro or B) the stand alone access points concept like WAC510.

Also which router and switches would u recommend?

Many thx

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7