Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Building a new wired network

Manxviking
Tutor

Building a new wired network

I am in the process of building a new house and want to use my current Orbi WiFi as part of my setup. I have cat 5e cables coming into a Comms room in the middle of the house. Which modem and switches would everyone recommend. My main concern is that the BT master socket is at the end of the house (30 metres away). What sort of cable do I need to run from the master socket to the modem? Thanks in advance 

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Building a new wired network

Contact your ISP service, they should have info on that from there service box to the house. 

Message 2 of 5
Manxviking
Tutor

Thanks but the house is currently being built so no ISP yet. I just want to make sure that I don't lose any performance if I have a standard phone cable from the socket to the modem. Best time to install cable now before the plasterboard is put up.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@Manxviking wrote:

I am in the process of building a new house and want to use my current Orbi WiFi as part of my setup. I have cat 5e cables coming into a Comms room in the middle of the house. Which modem and switches would everyone recommend. My main concern is that the BT master socket is at the end of the house (30 metres away). What sort of cable do I need to run from the master socket to the modem? Thanks in advance 

@FURRYe38is correct.  BT needs to specify how to extend their incomming service line inside the building.  In the US it is very common for the customer to specify where inside the building is to be delivered. (My son recently switched to fiber in North Carolina  and the company ran the fiber directly to his "entertainment center".)

An alternative is to run Cat6 cable (two in case one fails five years from now and you don't want to tear open the walls to put in a replacement - cable is cheap compared to tearing open walls).  That way, the "modem" can be located where the BT service enters.  If BT actually brings fiber instead of coax, that would be where the fiber ONT would go.  (Like you, I would prefer to have ALL my electronics in the comms room.)

Everyone who builds a house in "BT Land" faces the same situation.  Talking to BT seems like the "way to go."

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

If this is a long cable run and it's ethernet, then Ask the ISP about CAT6A. If buried then 6A would be recommended...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7