Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Bulletproofing the router to the ...powercut...

jc999
Aspirant

Bulletproofing the router to the ...powercut...

Is the orby system the worst routing & wifi system existing on the market ?

I bought a set of RBK40 7 days ago, and it has been only working nicely 2 days.

Router and satellite connected via a direct ethernet and the last firmware (.16) installed on both, and the troubles are still the same.

I did factory reset on both router and satellite.

First; it’s a pain in the ass to get the satellite connected to the router with a direct ethernet cable, no switch in between. but when I am trying to add on both side the switches with all the devices, everything falls down, I need to replug every single device one by one manually after each reboot !

then, suddenly the satellite allows wifi connection but seems to have lost the router not giving back an IP from DHCP ( remember, it’s a direct cable to the router… )

Does Netgear sell in 2018 the first router that is not bulletproof to … powercut and smoothly restarting ??

Next step is to return the product and try the velop. but, should I try something else before ?

Thank for your help ... 

JC

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

I had the same experience today. I had a 2-second power outage, after which my home network was dead.

My Asus AC68U router, my Orbi router in AP mode, and my 2 Orbi satellites all needed to be rebooted. So did my modem.

My modem, router, and Orbi router/AP are all on a UPS. Only my 2 satellites are not. And yet I had to reboot everything, even the devices on the UPS! I think I'm going to invest in 2 more UPS-es for the satellites, because this is just too much pain for a 2-second outage.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 2 of 7
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

I agree the problems are with the Orbi. It’s pretty clear Netgear isn’t going to fix all the problems in our lifetime. So you can either rid yourself of Orbis or work around the problems. Orbis are good at Wi-Fi, so that’s what I use them for. They’re bad as routers. I had my old Asus router and simply re-installed it at additional cost of zero.

One of my satellites is in my home theater, where I’ve been wanting a UPS anyway to protect the projector, which is very much more valuable than an Orbi. But given the fragility of the Orbis with respect to power, I now have an additional excuse to get a UPS in there. It will be a quality Panamax unit.

The other sat is in a bedroom. With nothing else in need of protection, a very cheap APC unit will suffice.

Re static LAN addresses, I’ve just always run my LAN that way, with or without Orbis. Just seems simpler to me to avoid all those DHCP negotiations.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 3 of 7
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@Case850 wrote:

You have to turn OFF just about every feature; MU-MIMO, Beamforming, Fast Roaming, .....until what you're left with is an expensive L2 switch, wireless bridge, just to get it work.

No I don’t. I have all those features enabled and my Wi-Fi works fine.

Message 4 of 7
tsig
Luminary

I've had my system for about 6 months or so, been rock solid thru two firmware updates with no issues at all.  Did some electrical work at the house, turning breakers on and off multiple times, affecting the router and satellites at various times.  Never gave it a thought because as soon as power was restored, everything just worked as it was supposed to.  Guess I am one of the lucky ones.

Message 5 of 7
kingtj
Star

But note, the original poster with these complaints is using the RBK40 while you're on the RBK50.

That may or may not mean much -- but it's one of the confusing things when trying to troubleshoot issues on these forums. I have the RBK43 (basically the RBK40 series but the one bundled with 2 satellites in the box with the main router), and I've noticed I seem to be in the minority here. Most posts identify people as running an RBK50.

Model: RBK43| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 6 of 7
tsig
Luminary

@Case850

Data points that don’t fit your narrative are inconvenient I know.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7