Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: But Orbi DOES have Vlan tagging...

FajitaNachos
Aspirant

But Orbi DOES have Vlan tagging...

I've read many posts (presumably outdated) where Orbi is not recommended with A) managed switches and B) for anything beyond a basic Home and Guest network. Looking at the web portal, I do see Vlan/Bridge Settings where I can tag the 3 ethernet ports for vlan access. Why would this _not_ work for a managed switch? 

It seems like I could

1. tag port 1 for my trusted network, plug into managed switch with VLan for that port. Keep existing Orbi guest stuff.

2. tag port 2 for my IoT traffic. Plugin into Vlan on managed switch for IoT things. Get a separate AP for a different SSID. 

What am I missing here?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
eljarviso
Luminary

The vlan is definitely for IPTV services. You tag the vlan on the wan side for your internet access. Other ports on the lan side can be tagged to allow IPTV packets to pass through the wan to the specified port hosting an IPTV box.

The IPTV tagged ports are just an extension of your providers network.

As for managed switch I have a catalyst 3750 running happily with my Orbi in AP mode however you can’t assigned vlans to managed wireless clients like you could with a higher end AP such as something made by Aruba or Cisco.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe the Orbi VLAN is only supporting of the WAN side services. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Support-VLAN-Tagging-in-the-US/m-p/1669908#M46419

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@FajitaNachos wrote:

What am I missing here?

When I pulled up the "Help" information at the bottom of the Orbi VLAN screen, it's pretty clear that it is intended to support television service.  (Comments like, "ask your network for the correct parameters")  Also, "packets on VLAN bridge are not processed by NAT or firewall"  If devices are connected to a VLAN port, where do they get IP addresses?  What protects them from intrusion attempts?

Message 3 of 5
FajitaNachos
Aspirant

Also, "packets on VLAN bridge are not processed by NAT or firewall"  

That's definitely concerning. I never bothered to pull up the help page at the bottom. Why would it not be processed by the NAT or firewall... Seems like it's so close to being usable as a way to extend with a managed switch and get a segregated network other than the build in guest. 

Message 4 of 5
eljarviso
Luminary

The vlan is definitely for IPTV services. You tag the vlan on the wan side for your internet access. Other ports on the lan side can be tagged to allow IPTV packets to pass through the wan to the specified port hosting an IPTV box.

The IPTV tagged ports are just an extension of your providers network.

As for managed switch I have a catalyst 3750 running happily with my Orbi in AP mode however you can’t assigned vlans to managed wireless clients like you could with a higher end AP such as something made by Aruba or Cisco.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7