Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Bye Orbi

Xsquid
Aspirant

Bye Orbi

Had the rbr50 set with router and one satellite. Never did like it and it just went out. Had extended warranty and instead of getting orbi went with eero pro, 2nd gen, 3 pro units. Virtually nothing to set up, faster. 150 down faster in the app, wired connection to modem. How so many places recommend orbi is beyond me. This was more, but worlds better.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
RebelDad
Star

Re: Bye Orbi

I'm with you. Have had the Orbi for abot 2 years. It was great in the beginning but it's turned into a complete piece of garbage. Constantly dropping, slow, etc.

I've spent hours f-ing with this garbage. Once a fan, now a hater. Can't wait to get something else.

Message 2 of 16
Xsquid
Aspirant

Yep. Was a fan at first. The best thing that has happened is the orbi going out. Best of luck to you and everyone still stuck with them. I will be running away from anything with netgear on it.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Good luck to those who are bailing.  I'm pretty sure what you'll find that ALL router manufacturers deal with firmware missteps.  Go check out some of the other forums.

My advice is IF your problem is FW related, try and revert back to an earlier FW, one that you know your system was working.

IF you do stay and get it back running, leave it alone and do NOT perform manual FW updates.  NG will only auto push FW that contains major updates.

IF your problem is hardware related, that's probably a warranty case.

Message 4 of 16
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@RebelDad wrote:

I'm with you. Have had the Orbi for abot 2 years. It was great in the beginning but it's turned into a complete piece of garbage. Constantly dropping, slow, etc.

I've spent hours f-ing with this garbage. Once a fan, now a hater. Can't wait to get something else.

Yeah - it's quite frustrating given the cost, buggy firmwares, and the bismal 30 days support period.  Almost tossed my RBK53 into the bin before I found peace with Orbi by switching it to AP mode.  It's been smooth sailing thus far.  YMMV.

Message 5 of 16
Xsquid
Aspirant

1. I AM in Another forum. Eero, world of difference. It’s what orbi wishes it was. Cost more, but way better and faster. 150 down faster hard wired.

2. Obviously mine ended with hardware problems as it died. Best thing that could happen as we had the extended at best buy. Went with eero, they said far more problems with orbi.

3. Everything is better on the eero. Size, speed, setup, coverage, stability. Even the extra security is fat better, plus free 1password for family of 5, encrypt.me vpn, malwarebytes, system wide ad blocker, Anti virus, bunch of stuff fot 10 a month. Was paying 5 for 1password alone.

EVERYTHING is better.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 6 of 16
Xsquid
Aspirant

I shut off orbi's during free trials, love this one for 10 mo.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 7 of 16
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Xsquid wrote:
1. I AM in Another forum. Eero, world of difference. It’s what orbi wishes it was. Cost more, but way better and faster. 150 down faster hard wired.

2. Obviously mine ended with hardware problems as it died. Best thing that could happen as we had the extended at best buy. Went with eero, they said far more problems with orbi.

3. Everything is better on the eero. Size, speed, setup, coverage, stability. Even the extra security is fat better, plus free 1password for family of 5, encrypt.me vpn, malwarebytes, system wide ad blocker, Anti virus, bunch of stuff fot 10 a month. Was paying 5 for 1password alone.

EVERYTHING is better.

It's nice to know that you're finally at peace with Eero.  Life is too short to hold a grudge against Orbi.  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 16
Xsquid
Aspirant

The post above was meant to say 10.00 a month, not 10 months. The orbi just died a few days ago.

Yes, I am at peace, but netgear is off my list for anything. Far worse customer service also. Grudge? It's simply about buying better products. Wirecutter dropped orbi As their recommended product in favor of the eero (didn't know that untik after getting this one) doubt that means they have a grudge. Just dislike companies using customers as beta testers.
Message 9 of 16
Ken2122
Tutor

In regard to the "system wide ad blocker". It appears that is currently in Beta stage. Have you found that your Eero device has been blocking all or a decent % off ads? My friend has set-up a Pi-hole on a Raspberry Pi device and reports about 94% of ads blocked. Having the ability to do this at the network level intrigues me. Would love to see this function on the Orbi.

Message 10 of 16
RebelDad
Star

"My advice is IF your problem is FW related, try and revert back to an earlier FW,"

I did that for a while but it's not a good long term solution because we miss out on critical security updates. Even feature updates.

It's been months and months since firmware updates started ruining many Orbi owners experiences. If they haven't fixed it yet it's because they eithier don't care or have hardware conflicts that cause some Orbi owners to be SOL.

Orbi used to "just work". It was fast and everything connected. Now it's slow(er) and drops connections. 

I'm certainly happy for those Orbi owners who have no problems. I used to be one of them and actually recommended Orbi to many people. I just need my fast internet connection to work without having to become an amateur network engineer. Too many headaches these days with Orbi and it's time to cut bait.

Message 11 of 16
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@RebelDad wrote:

"My advice is IF your problem is FW related, try and revert back to an earlier FW,"

I did that for a while but it's not a good long term solution because we miss out on critical security updates. Even feature updates.

Critical security updates are still being pushed via auto-updates.  The idea of reverting was to get you back to a working FW and then leave it alone.  Some think that turning off auto updates all together is a solution.  The question then becomes how will you tell which FW to apply to your system?

Message 12 of 16
Xsquid
Aspirant

So far the ad blocker works really well.  Ads are gone in apps and games.  Have seen none, period.  Just like having an ad free version.

I constantly change ad blockers as theu either miss adds or block website function.  Macrumors I visit regularly.  No ads missed at all, some miss one or two.  Any pages you want me to try?  So far I like it better than anything before.

Tried these and no ads

https://www.reddit.com/r/Adblock/comments/a1ao2j/some_sites_to_test_adblock/

none here

https://thepcspy.com/blockadblock/

It may have missed a few while browsing but I never noticed.  If you know of someplace with a lot of ads I will test it.  I like it though better than the app store blockers.....any of them.

Message 13 of 16
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@RebelDad wrote:

Orbi used to "just work". It was fast and everything connected. Now it's slow(er) and drops connections. 

Yeah - As new features being added in each/later iteration of firmware updates, those changes would also introduce new bugs along with the new features.  Firmware becomes even more bloated with new risky codes.  For examples, Micky Circle & BitDefender, both of which will impede/slow down traffics.  Hopefully, firmware will mature before Orbi becomes EOL.

Message 14 of 16
Xsquid
Aspirant

Exactly.  I had to turn it off during free trial as it was causing speed to fluctuate badly.

Believe it or not eero is a little faster with theirs turned on.  Adblock maybe?  Dońt know.

Message 15 of 16
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Xsquid wrote:

Exactly.  I had to turn it off during free trial as it was causing speed to fluctuate badly.

Believe it or not eero is a little faster with theirs turned on.  Adblock maybe?  Dońt know.

Adblock will help speed things up in general because there's obviously less traffic to deal with or competing for the same limitted resouces and BW.  For example, it would be faster to load N URLs than N+m URLs, where m is Ads/junk/spam/etc.  It's also a reason that Chrome/Brave/Safar starts blocking the worst offenders/Ads automatically.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7