Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAT 6 shielded cable leads to RBR50 connectivity issues

Netup
Aspirant

CAT 6 shielded cable leads to RBR50 connectivity issues

We have long runs of cat6 shielded cable connecting to our RBR50, running to RBS50's.  The cable is really stiff, and after about 3-4 months we have had several connectivity issues over those ports.  I am guessing here, but it seems like the problem is that the cable bends at the location of the router exert a torque on the cat6 socket in the RBR50 that is too much.  I rerouted the cables and temporarily have it fixed.  What I am looking for is a home-grade cable tray that would support the cable bends and feed the cable directly to the router.  Are such products available?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CAT 6 shielded cable leads to RBR50 connectivity issues

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration?

Is Daisy Chain enabled by chance? If so, please disable this feature on the RBR. 

At most CAT6 plain STP patch cables are all that are needed. I think some mfr in cabling vary so some may be stiffer than others. If you have something that is stiff,  you might check into putting a non managed non green ethernet switch or a barrel connecor near the RBS and then install more flexible CAT6 patch cable, say 2-4 feet length. 

Message 2 of 7
Netup
Aspirant

The firmware was 2.3.5.30 when problems occurred. The topology was two rbs50’s and one rbr50 in AP mode, all directly wired to the rbr50 in router mode, using long runs of shielded cat6 cable with no intervening switch. The shielded cable is stiff enough to lift the rbr50 off the table (it is also rated for direct burial since two of the satellites are in different buildings (garage and guest house). The current setup has all three satellites connected to a NETGEAR gs108 switch with cat5e flexible cables from orbi to switch and modem. Firmware has been upgraded on all orbis to 2.5.1.6. The modem is a NETGEAR CM1150V, which also had a problem with connectivity (bandwidth was being throttled to 100mbits). Firmware on the modem is under the control of Comcast, and they had done some remote management (rebooting and resetting) when we first saw the bandwidth throttling. A modem reboot cleared the issue, whatever it was, but that is when I found the connectivity issues. Changing the system topology so that the cables terminate at the switch has fixed that problem. Daisy chaining is not in use.
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like you got it fixed then. 

Yes, ISP control FW updates on cable modems. There are no user FW updates. 

Glad all other is working. Mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 7
Netup
Aspirant

The only remaining question i have is how to solve the issue of unruly Ethernet cables that run from a conduit in the floor to the entertainment center.  When the house was built, Ethernet was not commonly installed.   I'm thinking that what I need to do is create a mini-patch panel in a j-box on the wall near the entertainment center and terminate the incoming Ethernet cable there, install the switch there, and then run flexible cable to the entertainment center.

Message 5 of 7
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

I suggest installing a small 4 or 8 port unmanaged gigabit switch behind your entertainment center, with the stiff CAT6 cable feeding into it.  Mount it on the wall so that the stiff cable is not flexed on the connection. Then use flexible 4 foot or so CAT6 or CAT5e patch cables to go to wired network ports of your satellite, Blu-ray player, Smart TV, etc.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

LAN cables can be fished thru existing walls. Might ask a local cable ship or PC or electrician shop on if there is anyone that can help you with cable installation.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7