Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CBK40 Orbi with ATT Fiber

Discoman
Tutor

CBK40 Orbi with ATT Fiber

I currently am switching from Comcast cable to AT&T fiber with an existing CBK40 system.  What is the best configuration for the AT&T box with the CBK40?

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Discoman
Tutor

Well, this has been my intuition all the way so thanks for confirming the facts.  I will use the AT&T system with an expander that they provide to see if this is enough to cover my house.  

I can't return the CBK40 so I'll try to find a way to provide value to someone.

Thanks for the advice on clearing the ISP as well.  I'll get this off Comcast as soon as the AT&T is up.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 12
Discoman
Tutor

Thanks for the information.  It looks like I might need a backhaul unit as well. I'll know more tomorrow following the AT&T installation.  Since AT&T also sells Orbi units in their stores, the techs should be able to work with my CBK40 setup and make recommendations if required.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully they can keep the Orbi cablemodem as the gateway. I can only run in gateway mode or bridged. 

Good Luck. 

Message 4 of 12
Discoman
Tutor

My concern is that the modem capability in the CBK40 might limit the flexibility as compared to the router only unit in the standard configuration.  More tomorrow.

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Well, the thing is, the CBK40 system can only run in gateway mode or bridge mode, meaning that when in gateway mode, it has to be the ISP modem interface with the ISP service. When in bridge mode, the router portion of the CBK40 is disabled and it becomes a modem only. I believe this also disable the wifi MESH system as well. I haven't tried this with mine yet.

Message 6 of 12
Discoman
Tutor

You have just clearly described my dilemma. Depending on the way the AT&T box can be configured will determine if it can just be a fiber optical gateway/translater that will allow the Orbi to interface and appear as the primary modem.  Even then, I am not certain that the Orbi can use the ethernet connectors as a modem input since the primary cable input is for coax cable and there is no WAN input as on the router only version.  I admit to a bit of ignorance as to specs, but will experiment to try to identify any solution.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, thats what i thought. The new system will already have ISP services and it's interface which would be Fiber to RJ45 LAN port on the out put so you would need a external router or a Orbi RBR router. The CBK has a modem already and that it's input from the ISP services which cable uses RG6. This is the gateway modem on the CBK40 in which I don't believe is compatible on ATTs Fiber services which uses a Glass Fiber line to this box at your place, then this box changes to the RJ45 where you would connect a external router.

We saw this coming months back with the CBK40 and asked about if NG could allow for users to use the system in a Router configuration with the cable modem disable. NG said no as it's not supported and leads to other issues. So as far as the CBK40 systems goes, you have to run it on a cable ISP service that supports it and use it as a full on Gateway MESH system, or Bridge it and this only enables the cable modem portion only, leaving the router and wifi mesh and satellites disabled. This leaves you with a spendy cable modem only system. Smiley Frustrated However if we think about it. Other Modem Mfrs do this same thing on there combo units. Arris is one. There gateway wifi modems are the same, you can run them in gatewate mode taking advantage of whats on the modem or bridge it thus disabling the wifi and router sections of the cable modem. I've had to do this on two modems for friends I help with.

So with your CBK40, it's meant for a cable ISP system only and won't work as a Wifi Router only. Sorry. Smiley Sad

If you plan on migrating to Fiber and if you can't return the system to palce of purchase, I recommend you find someone online, fleabay, over on the CBK forum on here or Amazon to sell your CBK system, then get you into a Orbi 40 or 50 series non CBK system if you still want to keep with using Orbi MESH wifi. If you do not keep the system, please have your ISP remove the cable modem association from there system. This helps with any propective new owners of your system to get it re-connected to other ISPs with out problems.

Message 8 of 12
Discoman
Tutor

Well, this has been my intuition all the way so thanks for confirming the facts.  I will use the AT&T system with an expander that they provide to see if this is enough to cover my house.  

I can't return the CBK40 so I'll try to find a way to provide value to someone.

Thanks for the advice on clearing the ISP as well.  I'll get this off Comcast as soon as the AT&T is up.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 12
turns2stone
Apprentice

I have AT&T Fiber 1000 service, with the Pace 5268AC router. You can configure the AT&T/Pace router to be the gateway (only), and let the Orbi be the router + Wi-Fi. Works great for me.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You can't do that with the CBK40. 

@turns2stone wrote:

I have AT&T Fiber 1000 service, with the Pace 5268AC router. You can configure the AT&T/Pace router to be the gateway (only), and let the Orbi be the router + Wi-Fi. Works great for me.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7