Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CBR40 Modem/Router = No Spectrum Compatibility?

dstranathan
Apprentice

CBR40 Modem/Router = No Spectrum Compatibility?

I pre-ordered the new much-anticipated Orbi CBK40 system (including the CBR modem/router combo) to replace my Spectrum OEM (Ubee) modem.  I have been waiting months for this device and I was very excited.

The Orbi retial box posted on the Netgear site (and other retailers like Amazon) clearly shows the "official" Spectrum logo and NETGEAR claimed they would support/partner with my Spectrum (TIme Warner). In fact, I recently listened to a podcast in which an Orbi product manager and an engineer both mentioned Spectrum as a vetted/supported ISP.

Fast-forward to today...

When my Orbi CBK40 system arrived - POOF! - The Spectrum logo was GONE. The Spectrum logo is no longer displayed on the Orbi's physical retail box. The only ISP  explicitlry mentioned is Xfinity.

I opened the CBK40 box and read the directions. No mention of any ISP except Xfinity. I remained cautiosly optimistic and proceded to set up and activate my new CBR40 modem. FIngers were crossed...

Alas, as suspected. I was unable to activate my Orbi CBR40 modem/router with Spectrum. The CBR40 is not on the Spectrum "offically supported modem" list. Activation failed.

I am dreding the task of making phone calls to Spectrum & NETGEAR. I hope I dont get finger-pointing and the old  "not our problem - call the other guy..." runaround from level-1 support.

I'm in KC MO USA. Spectrum is my only ISP choice at my current location. My current modem is a Spectrum-provided Ubee (DOCIS 3.0) cable modem. Im on a basic 200Mb plan (no TV, Voice or Wi-Fi add-ons)

At this point I don't have a warm 'n fuzzy feeling about this promising new product. With all due respect to NETGEAR (who typically has made great products for me over the years), I feel like a "bait-n-switch" hapened. The CBK40 mesh system is $400 and therefore not a cheap investment.

Please note that NETGEAR doesn't have the CBK40 system (and CBR40 modem) in the "model" drop-down list on this official community. How am I supposed to get support if NETGEAR doesn't even list the CBK40system /CBR40 modem as a valid product on their site? This is a major oversight on their part. Someone has dropepd the ball on this product.

Please advise. I'm really excited about this product but feel like I may have not options other than returning it.

Help?

denied.png1-spectrum.jpg2-no-spectrum.jpeg

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

It's not on Cableone either. I was told to tell them the model is a CM700. Told my ISP this model #, which I checked it was already on there supported modem list. Gave them the MAC address and about 5 minutes later, BOOM. ONLINE.

Give the CM700 a try if this model is on there supported modem list. It works.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

It's not on Cableone either. I was told to tell them the model is a CM700. Told my ISP this model #, which I checked it was already on there supported modem list. Gave them the MAC address and about 5 minutes later, BOOM. ONLINE.

Give the CM700 a try if this model is on there supported modem list. It works.

Message 2 of 7
st_shaw
Master

@dstranathan There is a new separate forum for the Orbi with built-in cable modem. You might get better response there.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/bd-p/en-home-orbi-cable

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I see thats new. Guess I'll start hanging out over there. Thank you Sir.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/Unsupported-Orbi-CBK40-modem-and-ISP...

Message 4 of 7
dstranathan
Apprentice

Thank you.

Message 5 of 7
dstranathan
Apprentice

Done. I tried your suggestion and I was activated within 5 minutes as a "NETGEAR CM700".

Took me almost 30 minutesto get my RBS20 satallite to pair/sync with my CBR40 router/modem - but thats ANOTHER story.

Finally up and running. Time for speed testing and firmware updates!

Thanks for your suggestion.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome. Enjoy. 

Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7