Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM500 and Orbi RBK50 Slow Performance

mikesw1975
Aspirant

CM500 and Orbi RBK50 Slow Performance

I have a Netgear CM500 modem connected to Orbi RBK50 router with one satellite connected to Xfinity Blast (75mbps theoretical download speed) service. Initially, the download performance was very close to the theoretical speed regardless of wired or wireless connectivity. After less than 6 months of Netgear usage, the download speeds on wired connections have reduced by nearly 50 percent (40mbps) and the wireless speed reduced by over 90 percent (2.95mbps). Comcast customer support has confirmed that they are seeing 75mbps to the modem. I've tried factory resetting all Netgear hardware as well as adjusting 2.4 and 5ghz bands on the Orbi but with no change in performance. Has anyone else seen this type of behavior?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
guzzijason
Apprentice

Re: CM500 and Orbi RBK50 Slow Performance

Just to narrow down the possibilities, have you tried connecting directly to the cable modem and running the speed test again? (Note that you probably need to reboot the modem if you change the device connected to it).

Also:

• What Orbi firmware version do yo have installed?
  • Are you testing with the Comcast speed test site (speedtest.xfinity.com)?
Message 2 of 6
mikesw1975
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. I tested directly at the modem and got an amazing 108mbps download. Orbi router firmware is V2.0.0.74. and I am using speedtest.net for my test site.

Message 3 of 6
guzzijason
Apprentice

OK, so your upstream is solid - that's good.
I would stick with that firmware for now as well, at least until this issue is sorted out.

If you power off the satellite completely and just test using the main router only, do you still get poor results? And are you aware of any changes at all to your config recently?

Message 4 of 6
mikesw1975
Aspirant

No changes to config that I'm aware. And the wireless performance is pretty much the same with or without the satellite. 

Message 5 of 6
guzzijason
Apprentice

Hmmm... and you've already done a factory reset. It could be a hardware issue of some sort. If you haven't already, I'd try replaing the ethernet cable between router and modem. Other than that, I'm afraid I'm running out of ideas of things to check. Otherwise, it might be time to start looking into a warranty claim - if you've had it less than 6 months, I believe you should be covered there. Wish I had some other ideas for you.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7