Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cable connection to Orbi satellite

Zolyo
Tutor

Cable connection to Orbi satellite

Hi Netgear community

I want to ask for help...

I live in a townhouse and got a granny flat at the back of the house which has been rented out. 

We use Orbi RBR 50  + 1 satellite. 

We never had a issue with connection. It covers whole 280sqm house + granny flat.

But I need some help with a problem that our tenant raised...

So the tenant was told by her work that she needs to have wired internet for her to work, not a wifi. 

(do not know... the new boss thinks that wired network is more stable) 

Due to the cost issue, we did not install a separate modem point in our granny flat.

(we are paying internet for the granny flat and our house, NBN 50Mbps)

My question is...

1. If we buy an extra satellite for our tenant and if she uses wired connection to the satellite, then would it consider a wired internet??? 

2. If above cannot work, then what would be best solution for a granny flat tenant to have a wired internet???

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Cable connection to Orbi satellite

You might contact a local computer shop and ask for recommendations to have someone help you wire connect the two buildings. Would be too much for someone to help you with this. No activation is needed. Just connect one end of the wire to the RBR and one to a RBS at the flat or you can connect a Ethernet LAN switch at the granny flat, like a NG GS-108 swtich so the tennent can connect more then just one wired device if needed. This would be a full wired connection for there needs. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

@Zolyo wrote:

Hi Netgear community

I want to ask for help...

I live in a townhouse and got a granny flat at the back of the house which has been rented out. 

We use Orbi RBR 50  + 1 satellite. 

We never had a issue with connection. It covers whole 280sqm house + granny flat.

But I need some help with a problem that our tenant raised...

So the tenant was told by her work that she needs to have wired internet for her to work, not a wifi. 

(do not know... the new boss thinks that wired network is more stable) 

Due to the cost issue, we did not install a separate modem point in our granny flat.

(we are paying internet for the granny flat and our house, NBN 50Mbps)

My question is...

1. If we buy an extra satellite for our tenant and if she uses wired connection to the satellite, then would it consider a wired internet???  No.

2. If above cannot work, then what would be best solution for a granny flat tenant to have a wired internet???

What is the distance between the main house and this "granny flat"? 

One can connect a wired CAT6A cable between the main house and this remote location if the distance isn't too far. 

Message 2 of 7
Zolyo
Tutor

it is only 5 meters!
And i do think they(granny flat) has an ethernet socket built into the wall.
I do not know how to activate it!
Message 3 of 7
Zolyo
Tutor

the town house was sold with grnny flat....
Very tiny....
Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You might contact a local computer shop and ask for recommendations to have someone help you wire connect the two buildings. Would be too much for someone to help you with this. No activation is needed. Just connect one end of the wire to the RBR and one to a RBS at the flat or you can connect a Ethernet LAN switch at the granny flat, like a NG GS-108 swtich so the tennent can connect more then just one wired device if needed. This would be a full wired connection for there needs. 

Message 5 of 7
Zolyo
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

awesome Furry!!   i got no idea what they mean but I will try to remember them before talking to some local computer shop guy.  

Thank you very much! 

I think connecting a Ethernet LAN switch to granny flat seems a likely option at this stage!  And also thank you for switch recommendation!

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements