Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Calling Netgear Out

mellokevt
Aspirant

Calling Netgear Out

So, i just read though a thread related to people needing to turn off 5g so that some 2.4g devices can connect.  Telnet? really?  The earlier version of the os permitted the user to just turn it off and reboot (which also seems to be missing) from the web page.  So not only can we not turn off 5g by clicking a button, we have to telnet in and try to ramp it down for a determined number of minutes?  

I had this problem 2 years ago when I set up a Rachio sprinkler controller.  That was a major PIA but at least I could turn off 5g, reboot and only 2.4g was available.  When I was complete with the connection, I could go back into the page and turn 5g back on and reboot.  Call me silly, that that was a simple answer to a significant problem.  Now, I am trying to set up smart switches that either don't like 5g at all or the 5g signal is bleeding all over the 2.4g keeping the switches from making a connection.  

I understand updates.  I understand the need to keep this systems secure.  However, to remove a capability that is still needed?  Really?  I used to talk highly of the Orbi.   I am really thinking twice about that now.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Calling Netgear Out

Message 2 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

I have had my Orbi since Fall, 2016 and do not remember ever seeing a 'button' to turn off the 5G WiFi.  The solution that has worked for many users is to temporarily disable the SSID broadcast of 5G WiFi, connect the smartphone to Orbi at 2.4G, set up the device, and be done.  I personally use two devices because it makes things easier, but it can be done on one device.

The specific steps are:

• Connect to the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings and uncheck the box "Broadcast SSID on 5G" and "Apply"
    All devices that are already connected to Orbi at 5G will remain connected.
  • On the smartphone holding the device "app", go into Network settings and "Forget" the Orbi WiFi.
  • Search for WiFi and connect to Orbi. The connection will be at 2.4G, but the Orbi Attached Devices screen takes ages to update and may continue to show the phone connected at 5G.
  • Open the app and configure the device.
  • Once the device is connected to Orbi (and it has to be at 2.4G because it has no 5G radio), reverse the steps.
  • On the Orbi web interface, check the box "Broadcast SSID on 5G" and "Apply".
  • On the smartphone, either leave it connected as is or go through the "Forget" and "Connect" process again.

In practice (a) this is superior to killing the 5G signal because other device connections are not disrupted, and (b) it takes about the same length of time.

I agree completely that Netgear could have eliminated half the posts on the community forum if they had allowed customers to do whatever the hell they wanted with the Orbi WiFi. Turn radios on/off. Split SSID's.  Whatever.  But, they didn't, haven't, and probably never will.

Message 3 of 13
vajim
Master

Not to be the bad person here but I've stated this before and it comes from personal experience. If people would do some research or homework before hand on what a mesh system does and does not , then made the choice to purchase it, you may not see posts like this.  if you then realized that the mesh has only one SSID would you have made the purchase?

Don't feel bad or angry it happened to me , but I dealt with it and at the time while my options were limited.  I ended performimg a work around. Minor inconvenience in my book.

Do the other makers of a mesh system have the same single SSID?   

Message 4 of 13
mellokevt
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply, but no bueno.  I found this setting under Advanced, Advanced Setup, Wireless Settings.  I tuned off the SSID Broadcast and even reduced the power to 25%.  Forgot both ssids on my phone, turned the network off and back on  and it still finds both ssids.  Even after I reconnected to the guest network which is where I want to load these IOT items, I still can't get it to connect and I have three  stitches in two different modes.  None of them can be found.  Oh, and yes, I have rebooted the router and disconnected the satellites.  Screenshot 2021-03-03 191052.png

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure that you distance your wifi device from the RBR, even though you may have disaable the SSID broadcast and turned down the 5Ghz power to 25%, your device, if if it's close enough can still connec to 5Ghz. So you'll need to put more distance between the device and the RBR to make sure it connects to 2.4ghz as 2.4Ghz travels farther then 5Ghz. Again, this is a IoT software issue which they should fix. 

Message 6 of 13
mellokevt
Aspirant

I understand the singular SSID and the benefit to using it.  My last router permitted me to set a separate SSID for 5g and 2.4g.  I like the ability to set two different SSIDs on the orbi as one is just a guest node which blocks traffic back to my primary network.  However, the ability to turn off 5g was there at some time in the last 2+ years ago.  

As I mentioned, my first experience with this issue was with a RACHIO sprinkler system.  I couldn't figure out why it would not connect and contacted the support team at RACHIO as I thought it was a problem with the system. They were the ones that first identified the 2.4g issue and walked me though the process.  

Along those same lines, I have been unable to find the reboot function on the web page,  Yes, it used to be there under Advanced, ???  However, i can't find it now.  I had to go to my phone which has the reboot capability, but non of the advanced settings and is stupidly slow when connecting since this recent firmware update.  

Lastly,  Does anyone track the cpu usage on your Orbi?  during all these attempts i came across the cpu usage and it was running at 50%.  I'm not sure if these are designed to just run at that level or something it pushing it. 

Message 7 of 13
mellokevt
Aspirant

Thank you for the info.  However, these happen to be light switches in a wall about 15' above where the Router is.  Our house is a ranch with a basement and the primary router is roughly centered in the basement with metal hvac ducting above it.  

Message 8 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@mellokevt wrote:

Thank you for the reply, but no bueno.  I found this setting under Advanced, Advanced Setup, Wireless Settings.  I tuned off the SSID Broadcast and even reduced the power to 25%.  Forgot both ssids on my phone, turned the network off and back on  and it still finds both ssids.  Even after I reconnected to the guest network which is where I want to load these IOT items, I still can't get it to connect and I have three  switches in two different modes.  None of them can be found.  Oh, and yes, I have rebooted the router and disconnected the satellites.  

(I sometimes lose track of which post someone is responding to... so I copy it when I respond)

This has introduced a new wrinkle in the problem: use of the Guest SSID.  (I will have to research whether "Broadcast SSID" applies to both primary and guest SSID's).

Yes, after unchecking "Broadcast SSID" on 5G (and "Apply") the Orbi SSID will still appear.  It is the 2.4G radio that is still broadcasting the SSID and which the smartphone should connect to.

Message 9 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@mellokevt wrote:

Thank you for the info.  However, these happen to be light switches in a wall about 15' above where the Router is.  Our house is a ranch with a basement and the primary router is roughly centered in the basement with metal hvac ducting above it.  

I cannot remember which detective said, "this just gets curioser and curioser."  There has to be a usable 2.4G WiFi signal at the device location for it to function.  Powering off the satellites is not going to help provide WiFi signal to this particular location.

Message 10 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@CrimpOn wrote:

This has introduced a new wrinkle in the problem: use of the Guest SSID.  (I will have to research whether "Broadcast SSID" applies to both primary and guest SSID's).

This has been another "learning experience".  The option to Broadcast SSID on 2.4G and 5G do not appear to affect the Guest SSID.  It remains active no matter how that option is checked if it is enabled. This (to me) is sort of the point. Guest SSID is optional.  If we don't want it broadcast, then turn it off.

So, I have no obvious Orbi only solution to connect an IoT device with a defective smartphone app to the Orbi.  This is not a problem for IoT devices, such as TP-Link Kasa and Leviton that "work".

A solution that does work is to use an WiFi extender that provides only 2.4G WiFi, such as the TP-Link N300 ($20 on Amazon).

• Turn off the Orbi Guest WiFi.
  • Connect the to the Orbi primary SSID and have it broadcast the Orbi Guest SSID/password. (The N300 has only 2.4G, so that's what it will be.)
  • Connect the smartphone to the N300.
  • Use the smartphone app to configure the IoT device.
  • Power off the N300.
  • On the Orbi, activate the Guest SSID again.
  • Power cycle the IoT device.  It will look for the SSID it has learned (the Orbi Guest SSID) and connect.
  • The smartphone app can control the IoT device because it connects through the Orbi (or mabe through the "Cloud") so it no longer matters what band the smartphone is connected to.

Would I spend $20 to get this stupid switch to connect to Orbi, or would I purchase a switch that has a decent smartphone app?  I would buy a different switch and toss this one in the parts bin.  (Actually, I already have an N300 in my collection of random stuff, but I'd still toss the switch.)

I also see no reason to put IoT devices into a separate SSID, but I acknowledge that these days it is politically correct to do so.

Message 11 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

Past my bedtime, but.......

An IoT device does not have to be set up "in situ".  Devices survive power outages.  Once it learns SSID/password of the WiFi network it will use, it will connect the next time power is applied to it.  So, it can be temporarily moved anywhere (across town, even) and connected to any random WiFi network that has the appropriate SSID/password.  An old WiFi router that has not been recycled yet.could be set up somewhere. (I have three in a box) The instructions say, "tighten all the screws and put on the cover plate, then..." but that's what most people would do. Sacrifice an old extension cord and connect the switch to the hot and ground wires just long enough to get it set up.

Sorry to ramble on.  I'm embarassed not to have figured out that the Guest SSID is not controlled by the "Broadcast" option.

Message 12 of 13
vajim
Master

@mellokevt wrote:

I understand the singular SSID and the benefit to using it.  My last router permitted me to set a separate SSID for 5g and 2.4g.  I like the ability to set two different SSIDs on the orbi as one is just a guest node which blocks traffic back to my primary network.  However, the ability to turn off 5g was there at some time in the last 2+ years ago.  

As I mentioned, my first experience with this issue was with a RACHIO sprinkler system.  I couldn't figure out why it would not connect and contacted the support team at RACHIO as I thought it was a problem with the system. They were the ones that first identified the 2.4g issue and walked me though the process.  

Along those same lines, I have been unable to find the reboot function on the web page,  Yes, it used to be there under Advanced, ???  However, i can't find it now.  I had to go to my phone which has the reboot capability, but non of the advanced settings and is stupidly slow when connecting since this recent firmware update.  

Lastly,  Does anyone track the cpu usage on your Orbi?  during all these attempts i came across the cpu usage and it was running at 50%.  I'm not sure if these are designed to just run at that level or something it pushing it. 

I believe your challenge (if I'm reading your post correctly) is getting your phone on 2.4?  If so, until you do that all these other great questions are useless 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7