Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cameras and other devices not connecting to satellites

rp17
Guide

Cameras and other devices not connecting to satellites

I see this issue has been raised and there doesn't seem to be an answer.  I have ring cameras all around my house and I have an Orbi base station and 3 satellites.  The cameras all have poor signal and it seems most of the time they dont even connect to the satellite that is within feet from them but rather they connect to the base which is fairly far away.  Is there a way to fix the signal issues as well as what the devices connect to?

Message 1 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

Have you tried using the Ring App to "Change the WiFi Network" and then have it select the Orbi (again) from the list of available networks?

Or, do a "reset" on the Ring and set it up again?

This issue of devices connecting to an Access Point that even the dumbest human knows is inappropriate remains one of the top mysteries.  Solving it would improve the Orbi experience immensely.

Message 2 of 24
rp17
Guide

I have done both multiple times as well as change a ton of settings within the orbi GUI and nothing helps. Thanks though.
Message 3 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

How about this: go to the Orbin web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Wireless Settings and turn the 2.4G transmit power down to 25%.  That will reduce the power output of all Orbi radios.  THEN try to connect the Ring Doorbell to Orbi.  Maybe the Ring thought the router WiFi signal was "poor, but good enough" and reducing power will make it prefer the satellite.  The Attached Devices page will show if it changes to a satellite.  Afterward, turn the power back up as far as you need to get good service throughout the house.

Message 4 of 24
rp17
Guide

I did see this somewhere else on the community and change it to 25% but didn’t try rejoining them after I did it. I will try reconnecting them tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks again
Message 5 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks.  It will be interesting to hear what happens.  This whole "power thing" is a bit of a mystery to me.  If access points are close together and all are blasting at full power, that may lead to greater overall coverage, but also greater interference since all radios are on the same channel.  When the transmit power is reduced, each individual access point has a smaller effective range, and there may be 'gaps' in coverage.  Finding the balance seems to be more of an "art" than a "science".

Message 6 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 7 of 24
rp17
Guide

This didn’t help. It’s still connecting to the main router base station and of the satellite
Message 8 of 24
rp17
Guide

These satellites seem to be almost useless. I have a smart plug in he's from a satellite and it still is connecting to the main router. There doesn't seem to be any reasoning for the connection and it makes using this almost impossible. I'm seconds away from eating the $400ish dollars I've spent on all this equipment and buying something else

Message 9 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

@rp17 wrote:
This didn’t help. It’s still connecting to the main router base station and of the satellite

I am uncertain what "didn't help".  Factory reset the smart plug and set it up from scratch when the 2.4G power level has been reduced to 25% and the plug is close to the satellite?  Or.........

Message 10 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

What didn't help? 

Please give feedback to the questions presented so we can get a better idea if your configuration and settings please. 

@rp17 wrote:

These satellites seem to be almost useless. I have a smart plug in he's from a satellite and it still is connecting to the main router. There doesn't seem to be any reasoning for the connection and it makes using this almost impossible. I'm seconds away from eating the $400ish dollars I've spent on all this equipment and buying something else

Message 11 of 24
rp17
Guide

I've tried setting everything back up at 25% and issue persists.  I have tried all of the settings suggested in the previous post:

(What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? (There are maybe 2 or 3 nearby.  I am in a house and only have 2 close neighbors)

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).) 

I basically tried these settings and everything combination of these being on and off.  I still have devices that are in the same room or even within feet connecting to access points that are in different rooms completely and some are the furthest access point from them.  None of it makes sense

Message 12 of 24
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The real question should be do the cameras and other devices work?    

Message 13 of 24
CrimpOn
Guru

Maybe it would help to know which devices these are that connect wrong.  I just unplugged my TP-Link HS-105 Smart Plug and carried it downstairs.  When it was plugged in, it connected to the satellite.  Unplugged and brought it back upstairs where the router is.  Plugged in, and it connected to the router.  If your gizmo costs under $25, I'll order one from Amazon and see how it goes with my Orbi.  (I now have four brands of smart plug plus a Wyze camera that people reported having problems with, and they work fine for me.)

Message 14 of 24
chadarooskie
Aspirant

Did you ever find a solution to this problem??? I am having the same issue.  It will be connected to the Satellite (which is not 5 feet from the Ring spotlight cam) and have great signal.. then out of the blue it will connect itslef to the main Orbi Router and have harly no signal.  

Message 15 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What happens if you turn down the power output on the RBR from 100% to say 50%. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. Camera should remain connected to RBS...unless the RBS happens to be rebooted or power cycled. Then the camera may reconnect to the RBR. Which in this case you'll have to reboot the camera or RBR while leave the RBS ON. 

@chadarooskie wrote:

Did you ever find a solution to this problem??? I am having the same issue.  It will be connected to the Satellite (which is not 5 feet from the Ring spotlight cam) and have great signal.. then out of the blue it will connect itslef to the main Orbi Router and have harly no signal.  

Message 16 of 24
rp17
Guide

I never fixed the issue. I tried everything suggested and still it jumps back and forth. I just deal with it because it seems to work ok the majority of the time
Message 17 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you try reducing the power out put on the RBR to see if this helps any? 

@rp17 wrote:
I never fixed the issue. I tried everything suggested and still it jumps back and forth. I just deal with it because it seems to work ok the majority of the time

Message 18 of 24
rp17
Guide

Yes, I tried every percentage option and it didn’t help at all. In some cases it was worse
Message 19 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible a camera issue as well. It's up to the camera to connect to the wifi signal based on it's own ways of connecting and noise and signal quality. Maybe something the camera isn't handling well. 

@rp17 wrote:
Yes, I tried every percentage option and it didn’t help at all. In some cases it was worse

Message 20 of 24
rp17
Guide

I have 3 cameras and a doorbell camera so it appears to just be a ring issue in general with Orbi. They don’t seem to play well together
Message 21 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya. there is a long running post about RING products and Orbi. Might find that thread and see if anyone has some helpful info on it. 

Message 22 of 24
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ya. there is a long running post about RING products and Orbi. Might find that thread and see if anyone has some helpful info on it. 

So what do we do with Message 7 of 22?

Message 23 of 24
theoak
Luminary

Try turning off Beamforming?  Beamforming can increase the range and hence prevent a device from moving to another access point. 

Some devices have a setting similar to "Roaming Aggressiveness".  The less aggressive, the more it will hang on to a weak signal.  The more aggressive the higher chance it will move to something "better".  Maybe your devices have a similar settings?

One thing to remember is that this is not necessarily the fault of the Orbi.  It is the device that decides what to connect to.  All the Orbi access points are saying is "You can connect here".

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7