Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can 2 RBR-50 be used at the same time?

UnleashedChaser
Follower

Can 2 RBR-50 be used at the same time?

I have the RBR50 and 2x RBS50s, but my house is solid brick and my detached garage is about 100ft from the house. Wifi starts to dip a bit when I'm inside the garage working.  I currently have a CAT6 LAN cable running underground from my switch out to the garage and i'm using an old wifi router, but I'm tired of my laptop switching back and forth between the two networks. If I buy another RBR50, can I mesh the signal with the one from the house or will it just create a different network? I don't want to add another extender, because I'd only be extending a weak signal. I'd like to get the full signal from an RBR50.   Does that make sense?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
Fl1ntstone
Apprentice

Hi,

It looks like using another RBS50 would be your best bet as the backhaul link would connect via the LAN Cable and it would belong to the same WiFi Network.

Good luck 🙂

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

RBRs can not be used at satellites. 

@UnleashedChaser wrote:

I have the RBR50 and 2x RBS50s, but my house is solid brick and my detached garage is about 100ft from the house. Wifi starts to dip a bit when I'm inside the garage working.  I currently have a CAT6 LAN cable running underground from my switch out to the garage and i'm using an old wifi router, but I'm tired of my laptop switching back and forth between the two networks. If I buy another RBR50, can I mesh the signal with the one from the house or will it just create a different network? I don't want to add another extender, because I'd only be extending a weak signal. I'd like to get the full signal from an RBR50.   Does that make sense?

Message 3 of 5
Will_T
Apprentice

This raises a question. I have seen threads saying that connecting one satellite via ethernet while other satellites remain connected wirelessly does not work.  There have been suggestion as to things to try to make it work, but I have not found anyone that says they got it working.

In theory, at least, should you be able to have, for example, 3 satellites, one with an ethernet backhaul and two with a wireless backhaul and have everything work fine?

Message 4 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

There are two issues to address:

1. "Full Signal".  WiFi broadcasted by each Orbi device (router, satellite) is independent.  Each contains radios which put out the same strength signal.  No matter how many Orbi's are connected in a "Daisy Chain", for example, the radio signal that comes out of the end satellite is exactly as strong as the signal from the router.  The correct solution to making a "seamless" WiFi network is to place an Orbi satellite at the end of the CAT6 cable in the garage.
  2. Connections.  Yes, it works to have the backhaul signal from some satellites over WiFi and from others over ethernet cable.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7