Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I Place on Orbi satellite in an unheated room?

Windowpane
Aspirant

Can I Place on Orbi satellite in an unheated room?

• My Orbi satellite doesn't say anything about being an outdoor mesh extender, but that's what comes up here when I put the model number (RBS50) in above.  If it is designed as an outdoor device, that may be the answer to my problem.  I need to have the satellite close to my garage.  There is an unheated room next to the unheated garage.  Can I safely install the Orbi satellite in an unheated room?  I live in the mountains in NH so we do have very cold winters. Thanks for reading and any help you might offer.
Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can I Place on Orbi satellite in an unseated room?

RBS are for indoor use while the RBS50Y is for outdoor use. 

IF the room is enclosed and covered, you can put the RBS there. You might check the operation temp specs of the RBS to see what high and low temps it designed to work in. 

Message 2 of 7
Windowpane
Aspirant

Thank you so much.  I'll try to find that info.  Be safe.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

You too. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 7
randomousity
Luminary

Re: Can I Place on Orbi satellite in an unheated room?

According to the user manual, the operating temperature is 32º to 104ºF (0° to 40°C) and 90% maximum relative humidity, noncondensing. This seems to apply to all (home) models of indoor Orbi routers and satellites.

The outdoor model (i.e., RBS50Y) says operating temperature is 4°F to 122°F (–20°C to 50°C), so a much larger operating range, and still 90% maximum relative humidity, noncondensing.

You said you have the RBS50, but whether there's a 'Y' at the end of the model number indicates whether it's the indoor or outdoor version. You may also be able to tell by looking at the back of the satellite. The outdoor model has vents and places for attaching mounting hardware on the back, whereas the indoor model basically looks like an egg on the front and back, other than the ethernet and power ports at the bottom of the back.

I don't know how cold it gets in the NH mountains (pretty cold, I imagine), and I don't know what the negative consequences of using it outside its operating parameters would be. Depending on your needs and usage, if all else fails, you could just store it inside the house, and only take it out to the garage periodically. Plug it in, let it sync with the router, update car firmware or whatever it is you're doing, and then bring it back in the house when you're done. PITA, but it probably gets you around the operating temperature limitations, since it would only be temporary.

Indoor Orbi manual (tech specs on pp 155, 159): http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf 

Outdoor (tech specs p 28, image p 6): http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBS50Y/RBS50Y_UM_EN.pdf 

Message 5 of 7
marine0816
Aspirant

Any update? i have  new Orbi AX6000 and need to put it in the detached garage.. How was your experience?

Thanks

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to post about this over in the Orbi AX forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Be sure to review the user manual and spec sheet for operating temp ranges. 

@marine0816 wrote:

Any update? i have  new Orbi AX6000 and need to put it in the detached garage.. How was your experience?

Thanks

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7