Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I Temporarily Turn Off 5GHz?

OzzzieMike
Apprentice

Can I Temporarily Turn Off 5GHz?

I've looked on the Orbi iOS app and at orbilogin.net, and can't see if this is possible or not.

I have a new Whirlpool microwave that can connect to my WiFi, but it can only connect on the 2.4GHz band, and my iPhone needs to be connected to the same 2.4GHz band while setting up the Whirlpool applicance connectivity.

I"ve tried moving far enough away from the house to get my iPhone 8 to connect to the 2.4GHz band, but once I get back in the house my iPhone moves back to the 5GHz band.  (Checking the Device list in the Orbi app is where I'm getting this connection information).

I think I only need to connect my iPhone to the 2.4GHz band long enough to complete the applicance setup.

Any suggestions on how this can be accomplished?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 12
st_shaw
Master

Message 2 of 12
OzzzieMike
Apprentice

Sheesh!!!  Seems like a lot of hoops to jump thru to make a simple, temporary change.  I hope Netgear reads these forum messages and can help us simpify this, as it appears there are quite a few "connected" devices that must be set up on the 2.4GHz band, with the phone connected to this same 2.4GHz band during setup.

Anyway...thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  I'll try the steps listed in the next day or two.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 12
bebebla
Tutor

Is there any other simpler way to do it? I am not that technologically saavy to be running commands, etc. 

Message 4 of 12
FujiToast
Aspirant

I agree. This needs to be remedied ASAP. I'm trying to setup the MyQ garage doors and the inability to use 2.4 only is maddening. I'm about 5 mins away from destroying the thing and going to google mesh.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Turn the 5Ghz radio power on the Orbi router down from 100% to 25% on the 5Ghz radio and see if you can get the device connected.

You may run into same problem with other MESH systems based on the fact that they do single SSID names for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radios.

Consule your device mfr for help and information regarding MESH systems and compatibility.

@FujiToast wrote:

I agree. This needs to be remedied ASAP. I'm trying to setup the MyQ garage doors and the inability to use 2.4 only is maddening. I'm about 5 mins away from destroying the thing and going to google mesh.

Message 6 of 12
FujiToast
Aspirant

Where is that done? I'm logged into the web interface and not seeing anything mentioning radio power.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Try under Advanced Tab/Advanced/Wireless Settings....

@FujiToast wrote:

Where is that done? I'm logged into the web interface and not seeing anything mentioning radio power.

Message 8 of 12
lunasa808
Aspirant

This worked flawlessly.  Thank you for the info.  Gave up on the nighthawk model paid a bit more but working like a champ now.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it worked. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@lunasa808 wrote:

This worked flawlessly.  Thank you for the info.  Gave up on the nighthawk model paid a bit more but working like a champ now.

Message 10 of 12
HaveComment
Tutor

Turning down the radio Transmit Power on 5GHz is a wonderfully simple & effective solution. This information should be broadcast and shared, at least until Netgear adds a quick "Turn off 5GHz to connect 2.5GHz only devices option" for when app connection is required.

Thank you. Worked perfectly for a Wyze Cam Pan AND an Ecovacs robot vacuum.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad that worked. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@HaveComment wrote:

Turning down the radio Transmit Power on 5GHz is a wonderfully simple & effective solution. This information should be broadcast and shared, at least until Netgear adds a quick "Turn off 5GHz to connect 2.5GHz only devices option" for when app connection is required.

Thank you. Worked perfectly for a Wyze Cam Pan AND an Ecovacs robot vacuum.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7