Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I add a AP(non Orbi) to my current Orbi RBR50 system in AP Mode?

ACTerk1009
Follower

Can I add a AP(non Orbi) to my current Orbi RBR50 system in AP Mode?

I have 1 Orbi Router and 2 Orbi Satelites. I am looking at having new CISCO WAP's installed in my new home. Will I be able to connect the two new Cisco WAP's to the Orbi Router which will be in AP mode and not have any roaming concerns? I would like for my wireless network to be seamless. 

Thanks in Advance. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can I add a AP(non Orbi) to my current Orbi RBR50 system in AP Mode?

Adding other APs can be done, however would be on different SSID names and recommend using different channels from what the Orbi uses.

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Can I add a AP(non Orbi) to my current Orbi RBR50 system in AP Mode?

@ACTerk1009 wrote:

I have 1 Orbi Router and 2 Orbi Satelites. I am looking at having new CISCO WAP's installed in my new home. Will I be able to connect the two new Cisco WAP's to the Orbi Router which will be in AP mode and not have any roaming concerns? I would like for my wireless network to be seamless

This is not likely to produce the intended "seamless network".  Components of mesh networks communicate with each other and coordinate hand-off of devices from one node to another.  This is how they differ from the earlier practice of installing "WiFi Extenders", which are independent WiFi access points with no coordination with the host WiFi system.

If Cisco Meraki WiFi is the way you want to go in the new home, it it probably a better idea to go "all in" with Cisco than try to mix two different brands.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7