Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I assign a Wired LAN port to the "guest" network

kproth
Tutor

Can I assign a Wired LAN port to the "guest" network

I have a MagicJack VOIP device plugged into a Wired LAN port on my Orbi RBR40 base station.  I'd like to treat it like it's on my guest network, specifically, I'd like to give it internet access only and block access to all other Local LAN devices.  Is this possible?

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
taohat
Star

@kproth wrote:

I have a MagicJack VOIP device plugged into a Wired LAN port on my Orbi RBR40 base station.  I'd like to treat it like it's on my guest network, specifically, I'd like to give it internet access only and block access to all other Local LAN devices.  Is this possible?

You could try connecting it to the LAN port of a client bridge (or sometimes known as a media bridge) that is connected to the Orbi base station via guest wifi. This seems to be able to achieve what you wanted.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

No. Guest Network is for wireless clients only. 

Message 2 of 4
taohat
Star

@kproth wrote:

You could try connecting it to the LAN port of a client bridge (or sometimes known as a media bridge) that is connected to the Orbi base station via guest wifi. This seems to be able to achieve what you wanted.

Message 3 of 4
kproth
Tutor

Don't like the idea of having to plug in yet another device, nor deal with the potential added latency of another wireless link in my phone connection. But if the Orbi can't isolate wired ports at all, this does indeed seem like the next best thing. Thanks for the suggestion.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7