Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I assign a device to 5g wireless?

CineConcerts
Follower

Can I assign a device to 5g wireless?

I have a Sonos Bridge and Sonos 5 speaker both connected to my Orbi wireless network. Is there any way I can force them to always be on the 5g and not the 2.4g?

Thanks!

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Not currently. The Orbi system handles automatic placement connect of devices. 

You can try an unsupported process of disabling Smart Connect and having two SSIDs set up on the Orbi router. Look thru this forum for this process. 

Message 2 of 3
st_shaw
Master

@CineConcerts wrote:

I have a Sonos Bridge and Sonos 5 speaker both connected to my Orbi wireless network. Is there any way I can force them to always be on the 5g and not the 2.4g?

Thanks!

The answer is "No" and it has nothing to do with Orbi.  Sonos devices do not support 5 GHz wifi. They only support 2.4 GHz WiFi connections.

Also, the purpose of your bridge is to support your Sonos devices on a private mesh network, called Sonosnet.  As soon as you plug the bridge (or any one of your Sonos speakers) into your router, Sonos switches to Sonosnet and doesn't use WiFI. The bridge provides an additional mesh node, to help coverage in your house.

When using Sonosnet, you need to set Sonos to use Channel 1 and Orbi to use Channel 11 (or vice versa) on 2.4 GHz. Also, you should not plug more than one Sonos device into Ethernet.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7