Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I change SUB NET MASK

rsisson
Aspirant

Can I change SUB NET MASK

Ok, we used to have a GOOGLE Wifi system.

It defaulted to 192.168.86.x and this has been giving me fits as I go around the house and have to reprogram everything that is WiFi.

I have ONE device I can't reach, an IP camera on the side of the house.... I really don't want to have to take down for 5 min.

Can I change the SUBNET mask to -0- for a few minuets, pickup the OLD subnet, edit the node back to 192.168.1.X and the set the subnet back to 255?

PS... why is the subnet defaulting to 245 instead of 255?

Thanks...

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can I change SUB NET MASK

Yes you should be able to set 192.168.86.x on the router.

https://www.aelius.com/njh/subnet_sheet.html

Message 2 of 8
rsisson
Aspirant

Not sure if you understood,   I don't want to -set- it to .86, I want to set it to -0- so it will pick up the old Google OnHub .86 net -AND- the new .1 net at the same time.

Everything I have read says I should be able to, but I just want to make sure before I screw up my network, again.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Try it, if the UI doesn't like that subnet, then it will let you know when you try to apply it...

Message 4 of 8
st_shaw
Master

I don't know what you mean by setting the subnet mask to "-0-"  That doesn't make sense.

If you hardcoded an IP address into your camera (which is usually a bad idea) you can just temporarily set Orbi to use the 192.168.86.1/255.255.255.0 subnet. Then log into the camera, set the camera back to DHCP, then restore Orbi to whatever subnet you want.

If you must access 192.168.1.X and 192.168.86.X at the same time, then you could try to set Orbi to use 192.168.1.1/255.255.0.0.  However, Orbi may not accept that, as 192.168.1.X is usually used with a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask.

Message 5 of 8
rsisson
Aspirant

Alas it didn't work.

I set the Subnet to 255.255.0.0 hoping it would pick up the 192.168.86.?? address of the IP camera that was left stranded on that network.

I then ran a "Camera Finder" that uses MAC address and other network protocols I don't understand to find devices on the network with improper sub-nets and other addressing problems.  I have been able to login to several other devices that were corrupted, reset the address and reboot and have them reappear on the network.. Not this one.

I will have to dig out the ladder and the "security" screwdrivers (weird shaped screws) and take it down, reset it, and replace it.

this time we are leaving it DHCP, and we will just reserve an address for it in the router DHCP table.

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you have the old wifi system? If you do, why not set it up for long enough to get connection to the camera and make some changes...

Message 7 of 8
st_shaw
Master

You could try setting Orbi to use 192.168.86.1/255.255.255.0.  However, it sounds like there is a larger problem with that one camera, like maybe it's not connecting to WiFi at all.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7