Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I connect a Orbi Outdoor WiFi Range Extender (RBS50Y) to my Orbi RBR20 mesh system

Adamc104
Aspirant

Can I connect a Orbi Outdoor WiFi Range Extender (RBS50Y) to my Orbi RBR20 mesh system

Can I connect a Orbi Outdoor WiFi Range Extender (RBS50Y) to my Orbi RBR20 mesh system that has 2 x RBS20 satellites? I have poor coverage outdoors in my backyard and want to improve that.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Can I connect a Orbi Outdoor WiFi Range Extender (RBS50Y) to my Orbi RBR20 mesh system

@Adamc104 wrote:

Can I connect a Orbi Outdoor WiFi Range Extender (RBS50Y) to my Orbi RBR20 mesh system that has 2 x RBS20 satellites? I have poor coverage outdoors in my backyard and want to improve that.

As @FURRYe38 indicated, this is exactly what the RBS50Y product is designed for.  Of course, the same installation issues exist with this product as with any other WiFi satellite:

• It has to have power which involves either (a) locating the satellite close to an exterior electrical socket, which most houses seem to have very few of, (b) putting the power supply inside and running the low voltage portion of the cord through the exterior wall, or (c) finding a low voltage extension cable to make either (a) or (b) practical which is not trivial since the power supply cord comes with a "right angle" connector.
  • The satellite has to be close enough to one of the existing Orbi units to get a "good" backhaul signal.  With three existing Orbi units, this would seem to be "no problem".
  • Locating the outdoor satellite where it will not be constantly exposed to water.  Although the RBS50Y is rated IP56 "Weather Resistant", there have been several posts from customers disappointed to find their units full of water and shorted out.

As usual, the "devil is in the details."

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can. 

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

@Adamc104 wrote:

As @FURRYe38 indicated, this is exactly what the RBS50Y product is designed for.  Of course, the same installation issues exist with this product as with any other WiFi satellite:

• It has to have power which involves either (a) locating the satellite close to an exterior electrical socket, which most houses seem to have very few of, (b) putting the power supply inside and running the low voltage portion of the cord through the exterior wall, or (c) finding a low voltage extension cable to make either (a) or (b) practical which is not trivial since the power supply cord comes with a "right angle" connector.
  • The satellite has to be close enough to one of the existing Orbi units to get a "good" backhaul signal.  With three existing Orbi units, this would seem to be "no problem".
  • Locating the outdoor satellite where it will not be constantly exposed to water.  Although the RBS50Y is rated IP56 "Weather Resistant", there have been several posts from customers disappointed to find their units full of water and shorted out.

As usual, the "devil is in the details."

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7