Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I do this setup?

thepro8
Aspirant

Can I do this setup?

I'm using ATT Gigabit Fiber with comes with a Arris Modem/Wifi Router.  

The setup i'd like is  ATT --> Arris Modem (turn off wifi on it) --> Unmanaged switch --> hard wired ethernet ports, Orbi Router, and 2 Orbi satalites. 

Note, I want to have my orbi satalites connected via enthernet so there isn't data loss. 

Questions I have:
Can I do above or do I have to go into the Orbi Router and then out to the switch?  

Do I need to have my Orbi in AP mode? 

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
tsig
Luminary

Re: Can I do this setup?

the satellites need to be plugged into the router, either directly or with an unmanaged switch between them.

You don't have to run the Orib in AP mode, but you may run into weird issues having two networks.  

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

If you can't bridge the ISP modem or need to use the ISP modem in router mode, you can use the Orbi in router mode if you want too, just enable the DMZ on the ISP Modem and input the IP address the Orbi router gets from the ISP modem and puit this in the modems DMZ.

Message 3 of 5
thepro8
Aspirant

I haven’t now setup as:
Att fiber —> att modem/router —> Orbi router —> Netgear unmannagwd switch —>> 2 satalitea and tons of other things connected to switch

The challenge now is the satalitea are’t staying connected vie awired. I can only get 1 wired at a time. Thoughts on how to fix?
Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

I would test with all other wired connections disconnected from the switch or try connecting both satellites directly to the router in the same room to see if they connect both.

Disablie Daisy Chain on the router, apply and reboot.

You have to set up the satellites 1 at a time via wireless back haul first. When the 1st one gets the top led BLUE, then connect the LAN cable between the router and satellite. Wait 5 minutes, top led will turn on PINK then should turn BLUE. Once this happens, connect the 2nd satellite to the router via wireless then wired using the same process as the 1st satellite. If you can get them both wired directly to the router. Power them off then place back in remote location. Power 1st on one and wait for the top led to turn on BLUE. Then do the same for the 2nd satellite. 

So are you using the modems DMZ? 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7