Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can I get wifi speed of 600mbps?

MicahD
Star

Can I get wifi speed of 600mbps?

I recently upgraded my internet to a 600mbps package, after testing xfinity claims I'm getting that at the modem.  But my wifi speeds over my Orbi RBR50 mesh routers are between 300 and 400mbps, they never get even close to 600.  The xFi modem is in bridge mode.

Do I need to upgrade my Orbi system, and will that fix this problem?  I really don't want to drop *another* $500 on *another* Orbi system, and especially not if it won't even get me up to my max downstream speeds over wifi.  

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Jeffgear
Luminary

I have a 900/400mbps fibre plan and my MacBook Pro m1 on Ethernet to my RBR50 can consistently clock high 800's down and the max of 400 up. On WiFi it's half that and variable. My iPhone 12pro clocked 470 down on WiFi on a satellite but up is rarely above 100 up. WiFi upload rates quite low compared to Ethernet. My Ethernet connected old 4K Apple TV clocks 800 down, 300 up. This is using the downloaded Speedtest app and selecting my ISP's nearest server. The built in Speedtest app on the Orbi app cannot be changed from its chosen server (which is unknown) and only clocks 500 down and 110 up typically and this is when the Apple devices are giving much faster results. So the Orbi variant of Speedtest is not a good indicator. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Jeffgear
Luminary

I have a 900/400mbps fibre plan and my MacBook Pro m1 on Ethernet to my RBR50 can consistently clock high 800's down and the max of 400 up. On WiFi it's half that and variable. My iPhone 12pro clocked 470 down on WiFi on a satellite but up is rarely above 100 up. WiFi upload rates quite low compared to Ethernet. My Ethernet connected old 4K Apple TV clocks 800 down, 300 up. This is using the downloaded Speedtest app and selecting my ISP's nearest server. The built in Speedtest app on the Orbi app cannot be changed from its chosen server (which is unknown) and only clocks 500 down and 110 up typically and this is when the Apple devices are giving much faster results. So the Orbi variant of Speedtest is not a good indicator. 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

WiFi speeds depend on a lot of factors:

• Distance from the access point
  • Number of WiFi access points using the same frequencies
  • Amount of overhead built into WiFi.

There are many internet sites that describe "what is reasonable to expect" with regard to WiFi speeds.

My guess is that between 300 and 400 may be right.

The good news is that wired devices do not face the same limitations as WiFi devices, so that 600mb ISP service may be able to saturate the WiFi devices and have a lot left over for wired devices.

Message 3 of 4
MicahD
Star

That's my experience as well, the wifi speeds are significantly slower than the ethernet speeds.  I won't bother spending another $500 then since my wifi speeds are regularly over 400mbps, not worth the money to get the same speeds.  Thanks!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7