Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I plug in an access point in to an orbi rbr50 router?

davepasch
Aspirant

Can I plug in an access point in to an orbi rbr50 router?

I'm working at an RV park and the owner wants to extend the range of his wifi system. It's a viasat system with an orbirbr50 and three satellites. I have an engenius ens620ext that I would like to use. Can it be plugged into one of the ethernet ports on the orbi or will I need a switch brtween the orbi and the viasat router/gatway?

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can I plug in an access point in to an orbi rbr50 router?

You can connect a wired external AP to either the orbi or ISP gateway. 

FYI Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.

Message 2 of 6
davepasch
Aspirant

Because the owner can't remember the password on his orbi and doesn't want me to do a factory reset so he won't lose his ap on his phone.

could I install a switch between the viasat modem/gateway and the orbi modem and plug in the engius ens6202ext into the switch I can get access to the viasat modem setup. Access point will be outdoors on the roof the indoors at a lower level.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, just be sure that the channels don't interfere with your wireless channels. Keep them as far appart as possible. 

Message 4 of 6
davepasch
Aspirant

I'll try that as soon as he gets me a switch He said he'll order me one on Amazon I just hope It's a decent one.

Thanks I'll let you know if all this works

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Make sure it's a NON Managed switch. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7